xiii

I don't say anything, wiping my tears up as Wilbur decides to continue talking. "I uhm— I'm sorry... for getting mad, I mean. I tend to be a hot-head with a big mouth."

Hearing how calm his voice seemed, I rest my head back gently this time, feeling a headache coming on from crying; not to mention the small bit of cranium banging.

"I'm sorry too, it isn't your fault... I know that."

After giving what felt like some very half-hearted apologies, the two of us sit in silence. I can still tell he's there based off a small shuffle every once in a while though, alerting me that I'm not alone.

"So— can I come in? Or are you gonna push me away again? Like you usually do," I don't reply immediately, and apparently that isn't good enough, because I hear a small 'fuck it'.

The door swings open and my head drops, falling right into Wilburs chest as he sits half turned to swing the door open from on the ground.

My cheeks heat up, and I look to see the mans jaw just as hazel eyes scan down to meet with mine. My heart skips a beat.

"I really am sorry," He admits, face sullen while making no attempt to move me. "I know I'm useless here, in this place. And it's shocking, with how important I was back where I'm from, I would've expected more..."

I shake my head, relaxing my eyes closed at the muffled sound of Wilburs heartbeat. "No, you aren't useless, I was just mad. I'll figure something out and we'll be okay. Until then, I have some money saved up for us to use."

He nods, reaching under my arms to hold me against him tighter, head resting atop of mine after realizing neither of us were moving away.

"Heh, this is the first time we've acted like actual soulmates, you know— who like each other," Wilbur admits, muffling the words into my hair.

I feel bad, knowing that both of us had been distancing each other on purpose, fearful one of us would get attached and the other wouldn't.

To be honest, I still don't know if he feels the same as me. We're pity snuggling right now, it isn't the same as a normal snuggle.

Friends snuggle, and it means nothing. This, ultimately, could mean nothing to Wilbur. Maybe he's just manipulating me so I treat him better.

Who knows. Not me, that's for sure.

"Wilbur..." My mouth opens before I can stop, and the next words that come out I regret deeply. "You won't leave me, right?"

He's quiet for a second, before I feel my hair move as he forms a facial expression. "Why? Because you're scared the soulmate you've been searching for will leave? Or because you actually care about me?"

I go quiet this time, not expecting him to reply with such thought put into the answer. Being honest with him about this almost felt illegal.

He doesn't like me back, that's what I'll continue to assume until he tells me I'm wrong, because I don't wanna ruin whatever it is that we have now.

I like this, laying against him without having to worry about what he's thinking, because he started it. And I was enjoying his small hold to my chest, arms resting just above my breasts.

For the first time in weeks, I felt almost entirely at peace, no thoughts in my head and no irritation toward Wilbur.

"Which one do you think it is?"

☁︎︎

Vote?
Comment?
Follow?

Not edited! I'm just not editing until I finish the book. It'll be easier that way. For me at least.