xxxii

"You're what?" Wilbur whispers, and I let my thumb wipe a tear off his cheek while lifting his head up to look at me.

"I'm here now, no more pulling you around," My smile is gentle, trying to soothe his worries away.
Wilbur seems to take a deep breath, relaxing his head against my hand.

"You promise?"

It's laughable how easily he believed my words, but I knew why; the man across from my figure knew all along how he felt, and how I should've felt. It was me who was blind to it all... I'm the reason he's hurting so much.

"I promise."

He smiles a little, grabbing my hand to kiss the palm with soft lips, pulling the hand down a little to look at me completely. "I knew you'd fall for me eventually."

His sudden cocky attitude paired with the stained cheeks and blood shot eyes makes me laugh.

"You're so stupid!" I complain, pushing his face away with my hand playfully. "I didn't fall for you."

"Did too."

"Did not."

Wilbur doesn't fight back again, he instead stares at me, hands finding their way to my cheeks, similar to how I'd done.

It takes a second of silence, but he eventually runs a thumb over my lip, his head slowly leaning in as if to gauge reaction before pulling back.

"You won't break it again, right?" He suddenly asks, not taking his hands away as he puts a small pause in our moment.

I raise a brow, knowing I looked dumb with my face smooshed. "Break what?"

"My heart..." Wilbur mumbles, keeping eye contact the entire time, as he tries to get an honest response from me.

"Wilbur," He nods as if encouraging me to continue. "Kiss me."

He smiles, leaning in, possessing more confidence this time. "With pleasure."

The mans lips land on mine within seconds, my eyes closing quickly as I feel a shock of adrenaline spark through my body, urging me to wrap my arms around Wilburs neck, keeping him close.

The kiss only lasts a few seconds at most before we break apart, Wilburs chestnut eyes meeting mine for what felt like the millionth time.

"So... is it real this time?" He wondered, knowing what happened the last time we kissed.

My lips touch his nose a little and I nod. "It's real."

I guess what they say about soulmates is true, even if it starts out rocky, there's good times ahead. And eventually, no matter how resilient you are, you'll find yourself falling for them sooner rather than later.

Wilbur seems to relish the hold I had on him, his sitting stance relaxing and his body slowly slumping forward. I just let him keep falling, setting me up against the arm of the couch as Wilbur rests on my chest.

His arms wrap around my waist, holding me close as he smiles. "You smell good."

The way he seemed so happy compared to these past weeks over one simple action made me feel both amazing and terrible.

How could I deprive anyone of this much happiness? It felt rude, illegal even.

It doesn't take much until I'm twirling Wilburs soft hair in my fingers, comforting his fast-moving mind as much as I could.

And it worked, because his eyes were closed and his hand was aimlessly fiddling with my fingers.

He was putting himself to sleep, it seems, and I couldn't complain. It's been a long day at the cafe, and he had come down to do more free labor.

And as Christmas got close, more people rolled through for coffee, something I'll never understand. They just have to realize they aren't in one of those Hallmark movies and it'll get better.

"Hey Wilbur?"

"Hm?"

"If I could, I'd kiss away all your scars."

It's obvious Wilbur is half asleep, because he just turns a little with a small yawn.

"That's good Love, I'm glad you can heal me."

☁︎︎

Vote?
Comment?
Follow?

What is it, eight more chapters? Ten? Idk yet but if by 40 it isn't wrapped up how I like we go to 50.