xi

"Wilbur! What did you do with my keys?!" I yell out, already late for work as I dig through my purse. "I need them!"

The man-child I share an apartment with raises up from the couch with a groggy look, hair left askew as sleep hung over him in a foggy cloud. "Hm?"

"Keys nimrod! Keys!" I exclaim, watching as time ticked away the longer he sat there blankly, just staring around him with a thoughtless gaze.

His hand motions towards the coffee table after some time, and I rush over to see what I'm looking for resting on top of a familiar drawing.

"Wilbur, did you rip my drawing of you out?"

His eyes seem to widen and he wakes up quickly, snatching the image away so I couldn't look at it any longer. "Uhm no! I... I was inspired by your drawing? Yeah, this ones mine!"

He exclaims suspiciously, and I wanted to stay back in order to question him about it, but the clock was still ticking. There's no stopping time when time doesn't want to stop.

"Alright then. I'll see you when I get home, okay? The rules are the same, don't break my shit and don't tell a soul about where you came from."

"Yeah yeah, I know, just go. I'll see you after work."

☁︎︎

I finally walk into the office to see everyone already working in their small lined-up cubicles that smelled like either perfume or cheese curds, and a groan escapes. I was late... again.

And the boss knew it.

"l/n! Office! Now!"

I flinch back a bit and droop, slumping my shoulders downward while treading towards the woman's room in regret. "Coming."

I sit down on the cushioned chair once inside the office, a mini-bobble head moving along with the sunlight coming in from the bosses window.

"A full week, are you serious? You've been late for a week straight! And not just a small few minutes; y/n, you're hours late to work!"

I keep my head bowed in apology, hands draped over each other. "I'm sorry boss, it's just been a long week, I can do better."

She leans back in her chair, letting out a small sigh while pinching the bridge of her nose. "Listen, y/n, I know you can be a valuable asset, but there are plenty people who want your position and are willing to show up on time with just as much effort. I'm sorry, but... this is your weeks notice."

My eyes widen, and look back up to the woman with shock, is she serious?! "What? But ma'am—!"

"Please— y/n— understand that I'm struggling to make this choice too. You've been with us for two months now, and I've gotten to know you well, but this isn't something I can just excuse you from and not anyone else. I warned you on Wednesday that this wasn't okay, yet it persisted."

I know she's right, and that I was in no position to be mad. But I was, and this time, there wasn't even anyone else to be mad at but myself.

Wilbur may have halted me today by moving stuff around while I wasn't looking, but for the other five days of my work week, I'd been staying back to help him on my own accord.

I would make breakfast, tell all about the rules and inventions here that Wilbur didn't have in L'manburg, and I especially took time to teach him some better manners.

But, I shouldn't have.

"I understand... I'll be going now," I get back up and walk out of the office towards my cubicle, a small space I'd had for a few weeks.

Fellow workers just stared, probably having eavesdropped on the Boss and I's conversation. I wouldn't put it past them, those little snakes.

When I get to the familiar space, I gather up my things— since there aren't many— and stuff them away into my bag.

I brought it to work everyday for big things I carry like lunch and paperwork, but never did I think it'd carry my belongings out of an office building I'd been fired from.

And while taking what felt like a walk of shame across the floor of a small business located in such a petite town, when I should be thinking of how I'm going to pay for bills and food, I have only one thought while stepping outside into the cold crisp air—

I wonder if Wilbur and I can spend more time together now.

☁︎︎

Vote?
Comment?
Follow?

Yup, sis got fired. It's okay she'll get mad about it later and I'll also solve it later.

Short chapters equals twice as many chapters. Gotta love it.