xxix

Wilbur and I were walking along the town streets, winter wind gusting by and causing us both to shiver slightly despite the jackets and gloves we wore.

"Damned winter weather, it's always so bad here," I mutter under my breath, stuffing my hands into my pockets. "You okay back there tall man?"

In response to my question, Wilburs arms wrap around me, holding my body against his chest, and it doesn't take long for the heat to warm my back up.

I enjoy the feeling, but we've gotta keep going. So, suppressing my cry and plea to stay in this heater-like position, I pull away.

"It's alright, we'll be there in a few minutes. Why did you want to come with me anyway? It's just a quick trip to the shop so I can help Lea take inventory. I'll be done in like... five minutes."

The man— who'd decided to act like a child today— shrugs, kicking up some snow with his boot. "I didn't want to be alone."

I sigh, knowing after the incident how nervous he'd get if left alone. I worry too, about if he'll loose himself again. Especially when I'm not around to pull him away from any danger like last time.

Danger being the government and what they'll do if they find out out Wilbur isn't technically a person.

Feeling some pity, I hold my hand out towards my soulmate, seeing his sullen face brighten up a bit while taking my offer.

"Why'd you leave my hug? It was warm," He complained, now walking with me side-by-side casually.

"I wanna get this job over with so we can get back home, don't you?" I look to Wilbur, and he nods with a small sigh.

"Yeah."

My face brightens, seeing the familiar coffee shop come into sight along with a familiar scent.

Picking up pace, the two of us run through the snow with smiles, getting inside of the warm shop as relief washes over us.

"We're here Lea!" I call out, seeing how there was a good chunk of customers here today. Too bad I have the day off, I'd help her more if I was paid... That sounded rude.

A frantic woman comes out, hair frizzed and apron untied. "Yes! Hi! Help!"

I nod, ushering Wilbur to grab the tray of menu items from Lea. "Hand out drinks, no one will mind."

He nods, happy to help the girl out whenever she needed. Wilbur didn't mind Lea, she was beginning to grow on him actually.

"Alright, I'll go take inventory. Wil knows what to do if you want him to help out some more," I remind her, taking my coat off before going back to the room we used as storage for beans and cups; all things that could be kept together really.

☁︎︎

A good twenty minutes into taking inventory of everything, I feel another presence approaching from behind me. "Sorry Lea, you know how tedious I am with this. It's always gotta be perfect, that way we don't waste money."

I don't look behind me as I keep writing out stuff, seeing how many coffee filter boxes we had, and if they were opened or not.

I feel arms wrap around me in a familiar fashion, scents of vanilla and wood hitting my nose. "Wil? Didn't I tell you to help out Lea?"

His head nods, burying itself into the crook of my neck as he rocks the two of us back and forth. "I wanted to make sure you were okay, I missed you."

"Wil... what's with this new attachment to me? At first I thought it was you being scared of yourself but—"

"I don't fear myself, I know how terrible I am," Wilbur admits, tightening his hold a little bit as I relax against his chest. "I'm— I'm afraid of losing you again; seeing you get mad and try to run from me out of fear."

A pang hits my chest as I realize how hurt he must've been when I left him to cope alone, but I wasn't able to comprehend much that day. It was too taxing to even think about my own feelings, let alone Wilburs.

"You're not going to lose me Wil. I'm sorry for scaring you and doing what I did, it was childish."

A small grunt is all I get in response, and I try to pull away from his grumpy attitude in order to return to counting, but I'm yanked back.

"Stop running, it's warm."

☁︎︎

Vote?
Comment?
Follow?

It isn't angst, it's just sweet. Don't come for me it's still fluff in my opinion T^T