Soulmate AU

Summary: Soulmate AU in which the first thing your soulmate says is found on your hand.

Some of the dialogue is taken from Flunked but tweaked to fit the story. Enjoy!

***

Soulmates. It was a word everyone knew. Marks etched on every individual's hands with a word or phrase of the first thing their soulmate would say once they meet. Some people never met their soulmates. Some people didn't have marks on their hands. Others met their soulmates early on. Others met theirs at the latter stage of life. Most were happy, some not. Either way, Gilly didn't care about finding her soulmate. Could you blame her? Thieving was more important than a silly first meeting with someone she didn't know.

"I hope I get to meet mine," Anna Cobbler, her younger sister, gushed as she read the mark at the back of her right wrist the umpteenth time."'The emeralds shimmer like water under the sunlight.' Ohh, I'm so curious! Where would I meet them? At a garden? Jewelry store? It's so romantic!" Gilly would beg to differ. It seemed like a common phrase that could be used by a shopkeeper or con artist. And where would she even find an emerald?

"What if you don't meet them?" she challenged.

"I would! I know I'll meet them!"

"Yeah, but some people don't actually get to meet theirs—"

"Ssh!" Anna swatted her sister's arm. Gilly grinned wider. "Why are you so adamant about soulmarks! You also have one."

Gilly's own soulmark was on her left hand. Anna reached out and flipped her hand to reveal the word on her wrist. 'Grease.'  When Gilly first read it, she laughed out loud. Everyone else memorized their soulmarks to heart; Gilly's soulmark was inside a canister above their cupboard.

"Who is this, I wonder?" Anna eyed it curiously.

"Whoever it is, I don't care." It was true. It was a word so common, who knows if she already met hers but completely ignored and forgotten them, never to be seen again.

"Maybe you would," Anna continued. "Mother and father met at your age too, didn't they?"

Of course they did. Father always told her the story about how he and their mother met; at some rocky beach. Eva was visiting on vacation, sneaking to the beach to feel the sea breeze. Hal had been stacking up washed away driftwood to sell to some collectors. He had caught the straw hat she was wearing, and when he spoke, Eva realized those words were written on her hand. Since then, she'd been visiting over the beach until they got married and moved to Enchantasia Village.

"When you meet your soulmate," her mother said to her, voice sweet and calm. "You feel a pull towards them. An invisible force drawing you together. Though strangers, you are bound to be with one another because you're meant for each other." Gilly scrunched her nose in disgust at that time. Anna had teased her about how Gilly would meet her soulmate at twelve too, just like their parents. Too young, she complained in her head.

"Well at my age, I won't," Gilly replied. "Probably never even. And I hope nothing big happens that I'll meet them at all."

The next day, Gilly was sentenced to Fairy Tale Reform School.

***

Needless to say, a part of her was relieved she was in FTRS. She missed her family, but the chances of meeting a soulmate here was impossible. Clearly she wasn't destined with another villain; only she should be the bad guy. Gilly had noticed the lack of marks on their Headmistress Flora. She had heard stories of people without marks, but it was the first time she had seen bare hands. If Flora noticed, she didn't say anything. Her new roommate on the other hand was just like her sister.