Trial and Error

A/N: I was trying out another way to write to see if I'm comfortable. There's no real storyline for this just another oneshot as usual!

***

"I'm surprised you haven't used this passage for your patty cake obsession, Ollie," Gilly scrunches her nose at the cobweb in her path, gingerly batting it away. "One would assume you'd keep this place spic and span to leave easily."

"Flora knows me too well," Ollie begrudgingly says.

"Don't you usually find another way to satisfy your desires?" Jocelyn sneers, then frowns. Another cobweb dangled above their heads. "Cobbler, are you navigating properly? These cobwebs are everywhere!"

Gilly rolls her eyes. The tingling in her neck and the vision of the pathway was clear in her head. Her fairy powers have adjusted for years. "Of course I am! I'm not part fairy for nothing!"

"Well, it's not very accurate right now," Jocelyn grumbles, sidestepping a fallen brick.

"Actually, I am," Gilly smiles smugly. She points far into the corridor, a speck of light shining through. A whiff of baking bread wafts to their noses.

Ollie's mouth watered. "Gnome-olia Bakery," he sighs, already imagining the tasty treats and pastries of the shop.

Jax pokes him from behind. "Not today Ollie, we've got work to do."

Jocelyn shakes out her compact mirror, pressing the buttons to summon Kayla. The image flickers and flashes until a blonde fairy with dangling earrings appears on the screen.

"You are not going to believe this," Kayla breathes. "Ollie's special interest is here."

Ollie snaps his head at Jocelyn's direction. "Special interest? Really?" he exclaims. Jax stifles his laugh at the growing red on his cheeks.

"Yeah whatever," Jocelyn rolls her eyes. "What's Corden doing there?"

Maxine pops her head beside Kayla. There was a smear of pink frosting on her face.

"Apparently he likes coming by Combing by the Sea, so I'm guessing you might want to come here much quickly."

"I thought our target was supposed to be at Gnome-olia Bakery," Gilly says.

"They were! Maxine said they put their order on hold and left for that weird store called Friends on the Other Side."

A shudder runs through Gilly's neck. She never liked that store ever since it opened.

Jax grimaces. "That's not good. That's the one place we've been hoping to avoid."

Kayla shares his sentiments. "Exactly, they entered about 5 minutes ago."

"What's Corden have to do with this?" Gilly asks.

"They talked to Corden briefly," Maxine quips while wiping her brow. "I don't think they know each other. Corden probably doesn't know they're, um..."

"Dangerous," Jax finishes. He exchanges a grim look with Gilly.

"We're here already," Gilly says as she hovers her hand over the wall. "We'll meet you there soon. In the meantime, someone should talk to Corden."

Gilly didn't hear their replies as she concentrated on the brick she was supposed to touch. She waits for several seconds until a single brick glows in her mind. Smiling, she presses the brick and the wall caves in, the dead end replaced with the back alley behind Gnome-olia Bakery.

The teenagers look around carefully before stepping out into the open. Jax and Ollie draw their hoods, infused with concealment magic as Jocelyn sprinkles invisibility dust on herself. Gilly merely waits a few seconds and uses her magic to disappear.