Chapter 1: Introduction

Still winds carried their way through the valley that day. The atmosphere of the world itself had turned sour after his departure. Many seemed to believe he'd be the one to change it all - to make the world a better place - but he was already gone from their grasp before they knew what hit them. The dust and dirt from Carburetor County to California and beyond became one as it sifted through the wind that day. Many a car stood in their places all around the world in disbelief. Such a revolutionary being was all too undeserving of a bitter, cold world such as this. His own smile brought joy to fans and casual admirers alike; beckoning their own smiles in tribute.

The now softly jostling wind swung its way through Radiator Springs now. Its signature folks were all gathered at a nice spot in the desert that day. Lightning, Sally, Mater, Flo, Ramone, the Sheriff, Luigi, Guido, Sarge, Fillmore, Red - they were all present. Though it wasn't a day of celebration, they gathered nonetheless in front of a minister carrying out a funeral service for a fallen friend.

An ice-white Mercedes nudged against Sally in need of support. Seldom did she find herself so deeply entranced by a car; if at all.

"I can't believe he's gone." the Mercedes sighed, sobbing softly but uncontrollably. She shook her hood in disbelief, nearly certain that it was all a dream.

"I know, I know, Deme... Please, try to breathe." Sally Carrera-McQueen comforted. Even she herself was starting to think this was all surreal...

"I was starting to think this was all too good to be true. Turns out, it was..." Deme sighed, shaking her hood as the tears began to fully engulf her.

"Hey, don't say that! You deserved every moment with him... and he did with you, too." Sally comforted.

"You're just saying that. No way did I deserve him. Not in this lifetime!" Deme doubted herself once again.

"Come on, Deme. You're putting yourself down too much here. You both mean the world to us here in Radiator Springs. We wouldn't have it any other way." Sally assured.

"Do you mean that? Do you really value me - value us - that way?" Deme asked.

"Of course. Come now, let's pay respects to your fallen one. The Manufacturer knows that this has been long overdue." Sally focused Deme's attention away from the specter of her loved one's death.

"Gone way, way too soon." Lightning McQueen observed on the other side of Sally, nudging against her for support as well. Such a confident - perhaps at times cocky - racer brought down to rock bottom by the loss of life surrounding the air.

"He did so much for us. He truly was one of the greats." Sally admired; trying to control her own sobbing still.

"Will we see him on the other side?" Mater wept, turning to Sally.

"We sure will, Mater. Fate shall deem it so." Sally admired, smiling through her tears.

"Man, this really makes you think... are we all even alive? Is this some kind of a dream?" Fillmore asked quietly to Sarge.

"I wouldn't even be sure, Fillmore. I wouldn't even be sure..." Sarge lowered his head, saluting to the picture of their fallen friend.

The said picture depicted an optimistic-looking racer winding his way through the hills of Radiator Springs. The racers' eyes in the still photo shone brightly as if they were alive. Andrew Boltarius was a beacon of life through and through to them. He was wise beyond his years, yet still exhibiting a youthful aura about him every day - bringing joy to the Radiator Springs' folk every waking minute he was there.

The minister conducting the ceremony made his way up to a podium set up in front of them. They all turned their attention from comforting each other to the minister as he began the service...

"Ashes to ashes... dust to dust. We are gathered here today to remember a true legend of not only the racing scene itself but the world in general. The once stellar life of Andrew Boltarius will be remembered as a prime example of triumph through tribulation. He was responsible for being the heart of the racing scene, though his tenure within it barely lasted a year of his life. His story shall be shared through generations of young racers; never to be overlooked as it would be a disrespect to the grand specter of the legend himself." The minister spoke. "'Til death shall do us part... Rest in peace, Andrew 'Dash' Boltarius... you will be sorely missed by everyone." the minister finished, even shedding a few of his own tears.

"Thank you very much for that wonderful service, sir - and for coming out on such short notice!" Sally chuckled bittersweetly.

"My pleasure, Mrs. McQueen. I'm honored that I was chosen to carry it out for such a fondly remembered soul of this world." the minister honored.

"Fondly remembered soul of this world... I like that. Maybe I could use that when we do his tombstone." Sally suggested.

"Well, it'd be my honor to bestow upon you that quote. Goodbye and may the Manufacturer bless you all on this day." the minister finished as he drove off.

The rather glum mood befell the Radiator Springs folk for the rest that day. Their newfound racing spirit had disappeared from their grasp all too quickly. But, his legacy was not to be overlooked. Though he was only there for a short time - he was everything that the town and its folk needed. The kindred spirit lives on to this day... The Dash to Victory - the story of Andrew Boltarius. May he live on forever!