Chapter 12: Serving the Sentence - Day 3: Running the Sentence

The next morning fell upon the Wheel Well faster than expected; forcing Lightning to take matters into his tires...

"Dash... Dash, wake up!" Lightning asked before he stood back as Dash suddenly awoke.

"Whoa, Lightning... Calm down with the dramatic entrances." Dash quipped.

"Not as dramatic as you're going to be after you hear some news..." Lightning hinted.

"...did you finally get that hot wax massage that Sally promised you?" Dash cheekily asked.

"What? Maybe... yes." Lightning confessed. "That wasn't what I came in here for..."

"I'm just going to let it out – Sally has admired your work from afar... and felt bad for what happened with Cal yesterday. As a result of that, she's reducing your sentence to a single week." Lightning smiled.

"THANK THE MANUFACTURER!" Dash jumped up with glee, giving Lightning a friendly nudge as he drove out.

"Whoa there, racer! It's only been 2 days! We're only on day 3!" Lightning reminded.

"Eh, a reduced sentence is a reduced sentence," Dash admitted. "What's on the agenda today, anyway?"

"Well, this is a bit less of a chore... possibly." Lightning began to hint some more. "I told Sal that if you did well at your café job today, I'd take you out and onto the racetrack!"

Lightning smirked with glee as Dash gave him a blank response.

"Lightning, I don't feel like being on the circuit anymore." Dash answered, "We've been through this!"

"That doesn't mean you can't run laps with your childhood idol... here!" Lightning gestured.

"Ohhhh... In that case, it would be my pleasure to race you!" Dash understood, cheering up a bit more.

"That's the spirit, kid!" Lightning egged him on. "Before you get too eager, you gotta go see the doctor this morning. We have to check how you're doing post-crash."

"Alright. Let's roll." Dash said as the two of them left for the town.

-----

Lightning and Dash arrived down at the operating room, where Dr. Dawson had already set things up...

"Dr. Dawson, your delivery is here!" Lightning burst in.

"You're not a knocker, huh?" Dr. Dawson observed.

"Nope! Never have been. Anyway, here's your client for the morning. He's all amped and ready for a check-up." Lightning observed.

"I see. Well, Dash – feel free to hop on the operating platform here." Dr. Dawson gestured to Dash.

"Okie Dokie." Dash swiftly complied.

Dr. Dawson began looking around Dash – quite surprised as to how his recovery was going.

"Wow, you're pretty healthy for someone who just went through a crash..." Dr. Dawson gasped slightly, quite astounded.

"Well, I guess I must have a motor made in heaven." Dash joked around.

Dr. Dawson found herself chuckling over-eagerly at Dash's joke, causing him to look at her with confusion.

"...that wasn't heaps funny. It must be easy to make you laugh." Dash quipped.

"Is that right? I sense a bit of a tone coming from you, sir." Dr. Dawson chuckled once again, this time to herself.

"The only tone I have are the beautiful tones that come from my exhausts..." Dash gloated, giving a fairly loud rev in the process.