Chapter 6: The Academy Days - Part 1

7 years earlier

Dash finally finished packing up his belongings for the new adventures that lay ahead. It would seem that he would not only be sharing a much larger dorm with another racer – he'd be sharing one with 3 racers. He felt both excited for the new opportunities – as well as a feeling a little solemn as he recollected his first 3 years at the academy. Principal Nettes and one of his ushers knocked on the door and came in.

"Did they call today?" Dash turned around to face the two gentlecars – with a few tears streaking down his fenders.

Nettes and his usher paused, looking at each other for a brief moment.

"Not today, Dash. I'm sure they're wishing you all the best – wherever they may be." Principal Nettes began comforting the young racer.

Dash had been waiting 3 full years for his parents to reach out to him. He managed to help out his family's business during his off-time with the academy – but there was still no sight of his parents at that time, either.

"Now is not a time to look upon the past in regret. It's a time to look forward to the opportunities that lay ahead." the Principal began to comfort the young racer.

Dash finally had all his things together and began rolling down the hallways toward his new dorm. He passed many of the other fellow racers in their dorms – staring at him as he passed by. He overheard a few students talking as he rolled past.

"I heard he hasn't seen his parents for years!" one of the students recalled.

"It wouldn't surprise me – he's the academy's best! He's too busy being a star to worry about that." Another student responded.

Dash looked to the ground once again – feeling both recognized and heartbroken at the many student's comments.

He finally arrived at his dorm – where his roommates were already waiting with smiles upon their faces.

"It's him! It's the academy's wonder boy!" one of the roommates yelled as Dash began to unpack his things.

"Uh. Hi there." Dash responded glumly.

"Hey! I'm Delilah – and this is Eleanor and Roy!" Delilah pointed out to the two racers standing next to her.

"It's so nice to meet you! I've seen your lap times – you're amazing!" Eleanor perked up, giving him a warm smile.

Roy just stared at the academy sensation and turned his rear bumper to him.

"Don't mind him, Dash. He's just a bit competitive – especially seeing that you're the academy's best!" Delilah perked up.

"I see that you're already hitting it off, you lot!" The Principal observed. "Enjoy the company of your new roommates, Dash."

The Principal left the fledgling racers to speak among themselves – tending to some other students who rolled past at the right time.

Dash sat on his mat and stayed relatively silent. Delilah felt a bit sorry for the junior racer. She tapped Eleanor with her tire and pointed toward Dash.

"Maybe we should go comfort him. I heard he hasn't heard from his parents for years." Delilah pointed out.

Eleanor rolled up next to Dash to try and comfort him. It was the closest he'd ever gotten to a girl racer before.

"Hey... we're your friends now, Dash. If you ever need anything from us, don't hesitate to ask." Eleanor invited.

"Thank you, guys. I think I just need some alone time – even if it's in my corner." Dash asked.