Chapter 24: The Bittersweet Return

Another beautiful morning befell upon Radiator Springs. Red was up bright and early, watering the plants on the Main Street as the rest of the folk followed suit. Dash woke up to the sounds of sweet nothingness up at the Wheel Well – quite calm in the serene quiet of the valley.

"Morning, hotshot. Well, quite a day yesterday..." Demetria rolled up beside him.

"Yup. You could say that again..." Dash stared intently at the valley view.

"Look, I think you both lost control there. I can't say who lost it more – because it was quite even, honestly. But, don't get all discouraged just because you said some things. Let's just move on!" Demetria advised.

"I should've known! I should've known that he would just take the sponsorship any chance he got." Dash sighed.

"Well, now that the world knows what happened – I doubt he'd be keeping it for long." Demetria comforted. "Besides – you won. You're the superior racer! Not that I had any doubt..."

"Can I be honest with you for a moment?" Dash asked, looking into Demetria's eyes.

"Of course, Dash. What is it?" Demetria responded.

"About yesterday morning – when I scared everyone," Dash remembered.

"Yes... I remember." Demetria sighed and chuckled.

"...I had a dream. It was about you... and Rush. You were really intimate – so intimate that you almost shared a kiss. I couldn't bear to watch so I ended up screaming so loud I woke myself up..." Dash admitted.

"Really?" Demetria returned a worried expression.

"Yeah. Part of the reason why I was so confident at the start was to get rid of any potential threats to our relationship. I was scared to lose you... to him of all cars." Dash admitted once again.

"Ohh Dash... I love you so much. I really value you more than you could ever believe. Besides – he's actually not that great to look at..." Demetria nudged him.

"Eugh! You looked at him?!" Dash backed away slightly.

"A girl has gotta have some fun! Besides, you would have been checking out El when she came here!" Demetria put her guard up.

"Alright – let's not fight. I want to keep a clean slate. Besides – you're so damn good looking I couldn't even stare straight if I wanted to." Dash flattered.

"Oh, you little flirt! You've got some good things coming your way tonight." Demetria hinted before the McQueens rolled up.

"Drop the act. We know you two are going out!" Lightning blurted out.

"Lightning, stop! Can't two friends be close without being in a relationship?!" Demetria retorted.

"Pfft – you were always way past 'friends' since the café incident!" Sally advised, bumping tires with her husband.

"We're still friends. Change of subject – how about that race yesterday?!" Dash jumped and smiled toward the McQueens.

"Alright, but this is going to happen in a few days. I know it." Sally gestured to the two alleged lovebirds.

"Ha-ha. Very funny! Anyway..." Dash quipped, wanting to change the subject.

"We're very proud of you, Dash. You really pulled through a tense situation – albeit losing your temper at times. We're proud nonetheless!" Sally noted.

"Thank you, Sally. I'm not exactly proud of my word choices yesterday but I'm happy that I made you all proud. I couldn't have had the better team." Dash thanked.