Chapter 42

Laura Conti's POV

I sighed inwardly as I was making some coffee for my in-laws as well as my sister-in-law. I was putting the teapot and the cups on the tray before I was about to carry them outside before Lucca was beside me.

"Allow me, cara mia," he said as he smiled at me before he perked my nose. I smiled as I was looking at my sweet husband who was carrying the tray to the living room where my mother and father were as well as Talia.

Here goes another confrontation with mother dearest.

I walked back into the living room with a tray of assorted desserts and biscuits that I made when I was stressing out over the classes and papers that I need to read. I was smiling as I put down the tray before I took my seat on the sofa next to Lucca.

"So, will you be telling us what are you doing here?" Lucca started as I was pouring the coffee into the cups before I put it in front of our guests.

"You know why we're here. We were trying to get this girl to come home at the airport but she beat us to it by coming here instead. I thanked the head of security to report this little missy here that was not staying at the airport last night," Lucca's mother said as I was hearing all this. Lucca sighed.

"Well, I don't even know that she was coming home last night. I thought she was not in Italy yet. And then this morning, we just found out that Talia was here," Lucca said before he took the cup and sipped on his coffee. I hoped it was okay.

"Hmm," his mother said before she took her cup and she was sipping on it. She was furrowing her eyebrows before she put them down.

I think I just made it worst or did she just smiled a bit?

I was putting out the desserts on the mini plates that we have and putting them next to the coffee. I was smiling at my father-in-law as well as Talia before I was smiling at my mother-in-law as well. I don't know what to call her still when I was talking to her but of course, that was not happening soon enough.

She hardly spoke to me.

Lucca put his hand on my knee before I was looking at the gesture. My heart warmed up before I felt the familiar dagger stare that was coming my way. I can see that in my peripheral view that my mother-in-law was glaring at me and my husband's gesture right now.

"So, will you come home with us today, Talia? I think you would be much more comfortable staying in your bedroom back at the mansion in Rome," my father-in-law said before Talia was tapping her finger on her chin. Then, she looked at her father.

"Nope,"

"No? Why not?"

"I want to talk with my sister. And she has been helping me a lot with this assignment that I have to describe this one ancient castle that I love to go to every weekend when I was in France. It was so magi—"

"Enough of this castle talk. You need to start focusing on your studies, Talia. You will be taking a Business Studies degree. It will help you to take over the company someday," her mother said as I was sipping on my coffee. I felt something different when I was drinking it as my stomach was churning but I ignored that feeling before I was putting down the cup.

"Look, mom. I don't want to do business, I want to be a castle historian. That is my passion," Talia argued as I know how this turned out to be.

"No, you will not be doing so, young lady. Our decision is final," her mother said before my father-in-law putting his hand on his wife's knee.

"Cara," he warned as my mother-in-law looked at her husband before I felt the churning now coming up into my throat. I needed to go now. I was putting my hand on my throat before Lucca noticed it.