Chapter 1

Croesus, The King of Lydia, who known for his wealth

~Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Laura Conti's POV

I remembered it very well that night. Like it was only yesterday.

It was pouring rain as I was weeping in front of my father's grave. No one was there. No one was there to comfort me. The social workers that arranged the funeral only gave their condolences to me before they went away after the priest had blessed the grave. The only people that gathered for the last goodbye were me and Greta, the help that took care of my father.

Also, my nanny when I was a little girl.

I only came back from Albania, the country where my work stuck me there for three years until I heard the news of my father passing away. I went there for a reason. A reason that I will not be telling anyone until the day I died.

It only took a day to realize that you sucked and you will never ever succeed to get the love of your life. And that person was not me. I don't wallow and cry over the spilled milk that had been done. Not this woman. And of course, not so a reason that was tiny in comparison to my drive to succeed.

"Laura, it's time to go. Please, you will get sick if you stay here any longer" Greta told me to go home since it was pouring cats and dogs right now. But I don't care. I stood still in front of my father's grave as the rain was pouring heavily onto my clothes I was looking at the tombstone indicating his grave.

"You go first, I will go in a minute. Please..." I whispered, wishing that it was loud enough for Greta to hear it. Greta nodded at me and went to the parking lot to get out of the cemetery. After I was sure that no one was around, I whispered as the rain was drowning it in the winds.

"You promised me to get better. You promised me you will bring me to the altar on my wedding day. You promised..." I wept as I dropped to the ground on my knees and cried my heart out. I looked at the tomb that engraved 'Here lies a father, a brother and a leader that will always be remembered in our heart'. I wept even more as the rain was pouring down and there was lightning that I heard from afar.

Suddenly, there were footsteps coming from behind me. I know who it belonged to. The heaviness and the strides that he took were still the same even though it has been 3 years since I last saw him. My heart grew heavy.

It stopped behind me and the rain suddenly was not pouring onto me anymore. I cried and cried that I don't even care if the person that stood behind me can hear it. After I wailed and wept like a bloody teenager that lost her first love, I gained my posture and stood up.

I took a whiff of the cologne of the person behind me and instantly knew who it was. I don't dare to turn around because I knew my heart cannot take any more pain today. Not when I know my heart will never change even after 3 years of being on hiatus from my home country. I started walking when he took a hold of my wrist. Electrics were running through my veins at that simple touch.

"Laura..." he said. His voice was as deep and velvety as I can remember that will always steer something in my heart.

No, don't look at him, you idiot! You know you will lose this battle, even more, knowing fully well that you are nothing to him. I took a deep breath before I spoke as quietly as my voice allowed me.

"Not now, Lucca. Why do you care? Why are you even here?" I said before he released my wrist to let me go. I walked into the rain toward the car that was waiting for me. The driver opened the door for me to enter. I took another breath before turning one last time to look at him.