Chapter 2

Laura Conti's POV

The dream of the day that my father passed away, the stupid memories of my first high school day, and those secrets about Lucca had kept me awake at night. The nightmare still haunted me even though it has been months since I returned to Italy. I got a job at my old university in Verona as an assistant professor of Archeology and History in the Department of Arts and Civilization.

My old Professor of Art History, Madame Rossi, a French immigrant that married an Italian man, has been kind enough to let me work under her. I was grateful for her help as my work in Albania needed to be delayed due to my availability to go back and forth to that country.

I also reconnected with my old friends from my college years. There was Stella Canali, now she was known as Stella Marchand, who happened to be an English professor, and Timothy Regio, my ex, that continued his study in Ph.D. of Economics.

I hung out with them in my free time, even though it was awkward at first with Tim who I have not seen in 5 years. He already moved on from our time together as he has been married to a nice woman named Isabella Rodriguez, an heiress from Spain.

Like most of the days that went on in my life, we went to a nearby pub that served great beer and wine in the area. I went ahead of time before them because Friday was the least busy day of the week in my schedule.

I went to sit at a table that was near the window that overlooked the street. A waiter came by to ask what I want to drink and went to fetch it for me. I ordered a red wine as it was raining lightly outside as it was almost winter.

Someone put the red wine on the table and I just ignored its presence. But, this particular waiter did not move from his spot, waiting for me to acknowledge him. I sighed, ready to tell him that I was good for now, but when I turned around, I saw him standing in front of me.

Him, Lucca Giovanni. My childhood best friend. My first crush and my first shattered love.

"Mind if I join in?" he asked, taking a seat without hearing my answer.

"I'm busy," I said, annoyed at his presence beside me. I rolled my eyes in my mind at him, hoping he would leave me alone.

"I can see that you're busy staring at the street through the window," he said casually. I rolled my eyes at him, did not have the feeling of fighting him.

I sighed, "What do you want?" I asked as I took the wine to sip it, hoping the burning sensation would calm my nerves and my anger toward him.

"I want to talk," he said.

"There is nothing to talk about. Your business with my father was not one of my concerns," I said and put the glass down. Lucca looked at me before he leaned forward. I can smell his signature cologne around the table.

My insides were churning from the sensation.

"He may be dead, but his businesses are still alive. As it was stated in the will from Mr. Russo, you are the acting president of the empire now. So, that makes you the one that runs the meetings now," he said while putting his arm across the chair.

With his presence nearing me, it made me hard to breathe as his body heat was spreading beside me. I turned my head to look outside to ease this uneasiness. Damn this man whose presence I don't need at the moment. Then, someone was rushing to our table before I turned to look.

Crap! It's Stella.

"Sorry, we're late. The traffic was unbelievable. You will not believe..." her sweet voice was trailing off before she cleared her throat and started to speak again.