K ɪ ʟ ʟ ᴇ ʀ・I ɴ s ᴛ ɪ ɴ ᴄ ᴛ

Start from the beginning

Walking into the dimly lit entrance, I instantly found myself in a large circular clearing, eight pathways leading in different directions for me to choose from.

Wishing I had asked that worker for a map, I took a chance and stepped towards the third one on my left, smiling to myself as I was met with a cooling breeze.

The air itself was fairly warm today actually, and right now the soft wind against my face was slowly helping me to relax and let go of my tiring day.

This is exactly what I needed.

I carelessly walked deeper and deeper into the maze, not really having any strategy as to which pathways I ventured down and which corners I turned.

All I could focus on right now was the ever decreasing sound of people, the space between us growing more and more distant until it was quiet enough for me to hear each of my breaths.

My only sense of direction came from the small pumpkin shaped lanterns lining the floor of the pathways, all connected by one continuous black cord. Even those, however, were mostly burnt out or had dimmed to a faint flicker.

I didn't care though, because the bright moon alone was enough to keep me grounded to every fork in the road and dead end I met.

Keeping my head up, I dragged my feet across the ground as my one hand reached out and brushed against the endless walls of corn as I walked.

Outstretched and free, I allowed my eyes to close for a moment as I listened to the world around me.

It was silent.

Or at least it was until the snap of a branch behind me became the exception.

Jumping and spinning around, my eyes scanned the dark, empty area, finding nothing there but more stocks of corn.

Even with my hand clutched to my beating chest, I let out a small sigh in amusement when I realized it was just a bird or something of the sorts.

Placing a foot behind me and twisting to continue my initial walk, I jolted in fear as my side met a very hard, very tall body.

Staggering back and regaining my balance, I inclined my head to see what, or better yet who I had collided with.

The man before me looked to be just slightly over six feet tall, pretty blonde hair so light it could pass as platinum framing what I could see of his face, which really wasn't much.

The man wore a fitted black shirt that left very little to the imagination, matching his equally dark pants and mask.

The latter left only the upper half of his face covered, allowing me to see the icy cold blue of his eyes and the sensuous curve of his lips that were currently set into a smirk.

His hands were tucked into his pockets in a casual stance as he towered over me, not moving or saying anything.

"Sorry, I didn't see you there." I apologized, fidgeting with my hands as he simply continued to look at me in curiosity.

My heart picked up its pace at the silence between us, warning signs in my head flaring at me and telling me that I needed to leave.

Agreeing with my brain, I sidestepped the mysterious figure, walking past him and forcing myself to not run as my feet led me down the narrow pathway.

I could feel eyes on me now though with every movement my body made.

Unable to resist, I turned my head back only to find absolutely nothing. Once again, I was seemingly alone, only this time, I knew I wasn't.