Chapter Eight - Learning about you

Spent a long time writing these chapters and the story is BACK! It's off from hold and I'm planning on getting it finished by the end of this week and on here by then... fingers crossed! Anyway several uploads coming your way as an apology for not having these up sooner. I hope you enjoy!!!

Chapter 8: Learning about you

The night was hell, and living in the house with the Grange family was about as uncomfortable as anything could possibly get. Nobody cared to listen to my excuses, and if I was honest, I didn’t really know why I had followed them all to where they were going. I knew that they were hiding something and I realised that now was probably as good as any time to understand the people that I was living with.

When Nate had fallen to the floor, all I could think about was protecting him, I never knew that it was a trick, a trick that was meant to make himself look vulnerable so that he could gain the advantage on his enemy.

An enemy that involved guns and pain, the very pain that I was running from. Why had fate allowed me to run away from a brother who wished to cause me pain, into the arms of a family that also liked to inflict the very same thing?

As Isaac was carried upstairs another wave of guilt passed over me, I couldn't forget the look in his eyes as he pushed me to the ground and took the bullet that was aiming for my heart. The look of fear, anger, pain. So many emotions flitted across his face in that one second, and just for that second the world stopped making me believe that he'd managed to dodge the bullet as well. How wrong I was. Within moments of me hitting the floor the sound of the bullet tearing through his flesh was ringing through my ears.

I was harshly shook from my memories and forcefully turned to look at a very irritated Nate. He definitely was a contrast to how I had first been introduced to him, his eyes were lit in fury and his skin was burning red.

“My brother” he yelled holding my shoulders tight, his nails digging into my skin as he shook me “my brother could die because of you”

I was startled to silence, I didn't know what to say and I didn't know how to react.

“I'm sorry” I whispered “I just thought you were going into town and I don't know why, I just, I can't explain why I followed you. But as for putting Isaac in danger, I didn't mean for it to be that way. I saw you fall Nate, I didn't know, I just” tears streaming down my face I felt like I owed Nate the explanation of how I felt so protective over him, “I saw the gun and tried to run to help you, I didn't want you to get hurt.” I roughly wiped the tears away with the back of my hand, knowing that I didn't deserve this family's pity.

“What's done is done” a small voice came from the kitchen as the young voice came through to where me and her brother were standing. “Nate you know full well that Miss Carly wouldn't put our Isaac in any danger and by the way she's lookin' now it seems to me that she's tellin' the truth about her intentions. We come from a family of risk takers any how. Remember when you first followed them out to a raid when you were 13? Almost got Pa shot through the chest..”

“The key word being 'almost' Ellie, I 'almost' got him shot. But this girl did get our Isaac shot. Our Isaac is up there fightin' against a bullet in his side and blood loss.”

I stood silently watching the siblings argue over my innocence. Ellie, a soft natured girl through and through stood her ground as she continued to persuade her brother.

“Nate, what's happened has happened, but for now why don't you focus on getting yourself cleaned up and helping with the horses, shouting at Miss Carly ain't gonna do you any good now is it? It ain't gonna change nothin' Nate.”