27. The Incident

Mollie lay her head on Seb's shoulder as they walked through the arrivals lounge at Milan airport. She was so tired. Seb tightened his hold on her hand.

"Brace yourself," he said. "Looks like the press are camped outside."

"Just what we wanted," she said, sarcastically.

"Just ignore them. Keep a hold of me. Antti is waiting outside for us."

She let Seb lead her out the doors and past the waiting journalists and photographers. 

"Mollie, Seb!  Can we get a picture?"

"Mollie, what happened at Zandvoort between you and your teammate?"

Seb and Mollie kept their heads down and made their way to the green DBX waiting for them. Antti jumped out and helped them put their cases in the boot.

Seb jumped in the driver's seat. Antti gestured Mollie towards the front passenger seat and he got in the back.

"Why do they always try and make something out of nothing?" Mollie asked. "Yeah, Scott and I collided. It was a racing incident. He's a twat but it wasn't on purpose."

"That's the media for you. If you won't give them the story, they'll just make it up."

"Twats." Seb couldn't help but laugh. She was so cute when she was angry.

Mollie sat staring out of the window while Seb and Antti chatted away. Despite her claim that it was a racing incident, inside she wasn't so sure. She didn't like to think that her teammate would take them both out of a race just because she rejected him but the thought wouldn't go away.

The stewards had agreed that it was a racing incident and no further action had been taken.

They soon arrived at the hotel. They checked in and headed to their room. Seb pulled her into his arms and kissed her forehead.

"Relax. We can have a chilled evening." Mollie closed her eyes and rested her head on his chest. Seb's phone rang.

He sighed and pulled it out of his jeans pocket.

"Yes Britta? Can't it wait? Can't you tell me now? Oh ok. Room 733."

He sighed again and sat down, disconnecting the call.

"Let me guess. Something important that can't wait?"

"I don't know. She said she has to speak to us."

"Us?"

"Yeah. Us."

A few minutes later there was a knock on the door and Seb got up to answer it.

Britta smiled at Mollie, who was sat on the windowsill.

"Britta, what's this about?"

"Anything you guys want to tell me?"

"Er, no?" Seb said confused. Britta approached Mollie. She picked Mollie's left hand up and pointed at the ring.

"What's this then?"

Mollie bit her lip, not knowing what to say. Seb grinned, sheepishly.

"Ah that."

"Yes that! Are you two engaged?"

"Yes, I asked Mollie to marry me over summer break. As you can see, she said yes. Please don't take it personally Britta. We haven't told anyone yet, apart from our parents. Actually, how did you know?"

"Because you two bright sparks walked right past a gaggle of photographers at the airport earlier and there is now a photo of you two, and that ring, going viral on the net! Everyone is talking about it."