Chapter Eight

Drew stood behind Pria as she unlocked the door to her parents' house and stared at her ass. She really did have a nice one and he was impatient to get her back to his place. He took it in his hands and gave it a squeeze, making her squeak in surprise. She turned to glare at him, but he only gave her a wolfish grin before kissing the pout off of her mouth.

The moment Pria opened the door open, Drew set his shoulders.

Sal pulled his attention away from the TV, half a sandwich in his hand, and scowled at Drew. "I didn't say to bring her back yet."

Drew gestured at Pria. "She's got a mind of her own."

"She also has a voice of her own," Pria reminded them both, then shot up the stairs.

The moment Drew heard her bedroom door thump closed, he moved, grabbing Sal up by his wife-beater, and sent a solid punch into Sal's jaw. He let Sal stumble back, not bothering to help when the other man lost his footing and landed on his ass.

A rueful laugh came from the sprawled figure. "I deserved that."

"That and more," Drew agreed. He hauled Sal up again, this time sending a fist into his stomach.

"Okay, okay," Sal groaned, clinging to Drew so he wouldn't fall again. "I get it. I fucked up."

"You didn't just fuck up," Drew asserted, and shoved Sal back onto the couch. "You put Pria in danger. What the hell were you thinking? Why would you let business follow you home?"

Sal glared at Drew. If nothing else, Sal had balls, and the fact that he allowed himself to be struck down now was penance on Sal's part, but mention of work had his hackles rising and the cold look that spread over Sal's features told Drew he was treading on shaky ground.

"Business? What do you know about my business?"

"Nothing." Drew said. "But I know business from personal, and last night was nothing personal. I had to feed some bullshit to Pria about you liking married women. I don't like lying to my girl, Sal."

Sal looked ready to argue, but Drew leaned over the other man and pinned him with a deadly glare. "I don't give a shit what you do. You want the world to burn, then fine, but Pria is my business now, and you're not allowed around her anymore unless I'm with her. Understand?"

Sal shot up, bumping Drew away as he got to his feet. "Who the hell do you think you are?"

Drew saw the punch coming and let it connect, knowing Sal would need the balm to soothe his ego. But as his lip split, Drew locked onto the other man, hauling him close, demanding to be seen. "I'm the one that's taking care of Pria from now on. That's the last goddamned time you put her in a position like that."

They stared at each other, but the tension slowly leaked out of Sal, and Drew released him. Sal was by no means backing off. No, Drew could see the contrivance in the other man, the plotting. Yeah, come at me, bro.

"Good." Pria was sitting on a step, watching them through the slats of the banister. "Now that you two troglodytes are done..." She looked at Drew. "You promised me sushi."

"I sure did, brat." Drew went to the stairs and took the bags she'd packed. He stopped at the front door and gave her his keys. "Go start the truck. I'll be right out."

Pria didn't move, pleading with her eyes for him to go with her. He cupped the back of her head and gave her lips a quick peck. "I'll behave. Go."

Sometimes, Sal didn't know when to keep his yap shut. The moment the door closed behind Pria, Sal laughed. "You've got her dick-whipped? Never seen that before."

Drew leaped forward again and took Sal to the floor, grabbing the man's face in a bruising grip. "She's mine, Sal. And just like you warned me when we first met, I also take care of mine. Watch your mouth."

Sal lifted his hands in a placating gesture, but an approving smile creased his face. "Gotcha. I understand."

Drew backed away. "Just so you know, I'm putting eyes on Pria. I'll know everything she does, and if I find out you tried seeing her without me, shit'll get ugly."

Sal's eyes narrowed. "Who the fuck are you? You think you got the kinda clout to keep me from my baby sister?"

"I'm someone set on making sure she doesn't end up with another black eye because you want to be a dipshit. If you need help keeping business away from home, I got you. I've got people who will back me while I back you, but you need to get your shit together. And I won't keep Pria from you. She'll still get to see you. When I say."

Sal's eye ticked as his tongue moved thoughtfully over the ridge of his upper teeth.

"Also," Drew added, as he headed toward the door. "I'll let you explain to your parents why Pria moved in with me. Make it a good story. I don't want them coming down on her because you're a cocksucker."

In retrospect, Drew might have overplayed his hand, but it felt good being able to finally let Sal see what he was made of. Between last night and this morning, Sal would have no question that Drew had what it took to be part of his crew. Yeah, Sal had been drawing him into his circle slowly. But that was the problem. It was too damned slow. Sal was cautious, as a man of his ilk needed to be, but last night had been a Godsend. Drew didn't have to be patient anymore. Sal owed Drew for saving his ass and Drew could afford to be pushier now. The only obstacle was Pria, but she could be easily worked around.

Pria didn't have emotional baggage that caused her to be leery or suspicious. The woman didn't guard her heart the way most did. She'd never had it broken. Everyone was given a chance and taken at face value. Drew suspected because of her easy-going nature, warm personality, and constant smiles, most people treated Pria the way she deserved without even realizing it. She was one of those girls that everyone liked, and because of that, she was entirely too trusting for her own good.

Pria wasn't exactly naïve, or unintelligent, but when it came to Sal, she had a definite blind spot. In her mind, Sal was a bit of a Neanderthal, but because he'd always been overprotective, she couldn't see past the visage Sal had created for himself. There was a part of Drew that wanted to shake her views, but he held back because there was another part of him that liked her ignorance where Sal was concerned. It meant he wouldn't have to act against her later.

His eyes moved over her now as she sat across from him in the restaurant she'd chosen.

Who knew? There was actually a woman on the planet that knew exactly what she wanted to eat.

Granted, he didn't care for sushi himself, but Pria was a silly little thing sometimes. Every time she ate something she enjoyed, she did a little shoulder waggle as she closed her eyes and savored the flavors. The way she smiled happily at the server who brought their plates and the way her eyes lit brightly when she picked up her chopsticks made up for the fact that he was about to eat solid slime rolled up in tasteless, gummy wrapping.

After the way he'd stood up for her, Pria couldn't keep her hands off him. He'd been a college frat boy the last time he'd gotten road head, but on the way to the restaurant, he'd been forced to pull over into an abandoned lot before he caused an accident. While he couldn't see any reason, at this point, to deny himself one of her blowjobs, his satisfaction didn't wholly derive from the act itself. It was what the act represented.

Pria trusted he'd take care of her and wanted to reciprocate.

Drew had proven his theory that he could "have her six ways from Sunday." While he'd never actually throw that in Sal's face, Drew had the personal satisfaction of knowing he was right. And for the first time, he truly relaxed with her. Her dancing eyes met his across the table and he gave in to the smile that threatened. For now, she was his, and he was going to make sure she knew it.