Chapter Fourteen

Drew understood the message he was receiving. He was either all in or he was cut out. Not just from Pria's life, but everything Sal had allowed him to be involved in up to that point. It was a moment of reckoning. Shit or get off the pot.

"Sal, let's go. Please?"

Drew hated to hear the pain in her voice. He didn't want to make things worse for her.

"Shut up, Pria. Drew, are we family?" Sal persisted.

Drew broke eye contact with Sal, his tense gaze moving to Pria. He lowered his brows and clenched his jaw tight, but as his gaze traveled over her features, the ball in his chest whizzed around inside of him, leaving him bruised.

She shoved her hands into the back pockets of her jeans, her shoulders coming up in an attempt to shrink away. Why couldn't Sal just leave well enough alone? Why was he so adamant to keep the two of them together?

Because family. Drew reminded himself that in Sal's twisted world, Pria and Drew being together made Sal feel safe. If Drew stayed with Pria, then Drew would continue to be faithful to Sal. This wasn't about Pria. This was about Sal protecting himself. And if Drew didn't play the game Sal's way, then everything up to this point would have been for nothing.

"This is stupid," Pria murmured.

The crack in her voice ate at him. It was better this way though. Safer for her if she left.

Eyes narrowing on Drew, Sal said, "I only make time for family. I don't waste energy on no one else."

There would be retribution if he didn't speak up now. Dammit.

Pria gave up on waiting and took a step toward the door when Drew choked down his guilt and finally broke his silence. "You're not going anywhere, brat."

She ignored him and walked to her bags. She lifted one, fully expecting her brother to grab the other.

Sal wanted to play games and make threats? Fine. Drew would play his part and play it perfectly. This time when he spoke, his tone took on its own brand of menace. "Get out, Sal."

Drew never took his eyes off Pria as her brother grunted in approval and moved to the door.

"Oh, no! Wait for me." She stooped to grab the other bag quickly.

"I said, put the bags down," Drew barked. "You're not going anywhere."

Pria whirled. "What the hell is going on with you two Neanderthals, telling me what to do all of a sudden?" She whirled on Sal. "And so help me God, if you tell me to shut up ever again, I'll tell Mama about your little STD scare. Try me! I dare you, gonorrhea-boy."

Sal opened his mouth then thought better of it. "What's your decision then? You goin' wit' me or you stayin' here wit' him?"

In answer, she reached for the door. Sal seemed surprised by her decision, but he took one of the bags from her and held the door open.

"I love you, Pria." Drew's words rang out.

She turned to face him, her expression disbelieving.

"Get out, Sal," Drew said again as he stormed over to her. When he stood just inches away from her, he pushed Sal out of the apartment and slammed the door in the man's face, then glared down at Pria with no warmth or affection.

"Are you happy?" he demanded. "Is that what you wanted to hear?"

She backed away from him. "What I want is irrelevant. You don't sound happy."

He took a step toward her, his scowl increasing, and for the first time, she looked as if she were afraid of him. "I don't like my hand being forced. Ever."