Chapter Twenty-Four

This is how people end up on Unsolved Mysteries, Pria thought with self-recrimination. It was only now that she began to doubt herself. I should have called him. Now, if I die, no one will know.

"Pria!" Donna squealed. The bar and grill Donna had chosen was packed full of people. Though Pria tried staying away from the city as much as possible these days, it had been impossible to say no to the invitation for dinner. Brogue hadn't shown her everything he had on Donna, but it was enough that Pria knew she needed to protect herself.

Forcing a smile, Pria wondered why she thought she could take a page out of Brogue's book. She wasn't a professional. This wasn't her world. But it was too late. Donna pulled her into an effusive hug and now, Pria had no choice but to stay the course. I'll call him after dinner. He'll call me an idiot, but he'll fix this. He'd better fix this. This is his fault.

Donna's thick, bouncy blonde curls tickled her face and Pria had trouble holding on to her smile. "How are you?"

"Perfect." Donna gripped Pria's wrist and tugged. "C'mon, we've already got a table, and I cannot wait for you to set eyes on this guy. He's a financial consultant. I want to do some investing. Unfortunately, this is just a business dinner, but when I tell you I could eat him whole..." Donna stopped suddenly and twirled back to Pria, who almost crashed into her. "Have you ever met a man so hot you wanted to drop to your knees and make him see stars?"

"Donna!" Pria playfully admonished, but her stomach was a bundle of knots.

In the office, Donna was strict and meticulous, but the minute she let her hair down, all hell broke loose. Despite having spent so many nights out with Donna in the past, it was only Donna's firm grip on her wrist that kept Pria from bolting.

She followed Donna as the woman chatted. "I think he likes me. I'm hoping this 'business' dinner turns into a sleepover."

"I will gladly be your wingman," Pria murmured.

As they approached the table, Pria's steps faltered. Her breath caught in her chest and a brief flash of panic whizzed through her. Donna stood in front of her and didn't see the way Pria's eyes went wide with shock.

"Pria, this is Tony. Tony, Pria, my friend from work."

It took everything inside Pria not to react, but there was no way she could stop the color from leaching out of her face. Tony, her old bodyguard, met her eyes evenly. He stood and extended his hand. "Hello, Pria."

She blinked, wondering if she was seeing things. Wondering how she was supposed to react. Her experience with Agent Donati had left Pria reeling for so long that she wasn't always sure what was up and what was down. Tony and Donna? Together?

Tony had been her bodyguard, but was he really? Did Tony have associations with Sal? Was he as corrupt as her brother? Or was Tony a friend/coworker of Agent Donati? Cop or criminal?

Pria didn't know what to say or do beyond taking his hand and saying a shaky, "Hi."

Pria reminded herself that Tony had been her bodyguard because Drew ... or Brogue ... had trusted him. Brogue was theoretically one of the good guys, but he'd been dealing with a seedy element back then. Who knew which pool of resources Brogue had pulled Tony from?

Tony pulled out a seat for each of the women, then took his own. Tony's eyes settled on Pria, calm and oddly reassuring. Pria swallowed and looked at the oblivious Donna. A wave of calm washed over Pria when the connection finally clicked in her mind. Brogue had hired Tony as her bodyguard. Brogue had warned Pria about Donna. Tony was now having dinner with Donna.

Brogue was behind this. He had to be. Pria told herself to be watchful. If there was even a small chance that Tony worked for Sal, or had connections along those lines, then Pria had to be ready for anything because he could be a threat.