Chapter Seventeen

Pria didn't know how many days she laid abed in her old room at Mama's house. It felt like forever, but it couldn't have been that long. The hickies Drew had left all over her body were only just beginning to fade.

Her parents were away on vacation. She didn't know where Sal was, but she figured he was probably with Drew. Niki laid with her, alternately consoling her and giving her pep talks, making sure she ate and drank water. Pria reached for her phone several times, wanting to call him and beg him to come back, but neither her pride Niki wouldn't allow it.

Pria's heart leapt in her chest when her phone pinged with a text. Niki picked it up and chewed her lip before glancing at Pria. "I'm not sure if I should let you read this or delete it for you."

"Who is it?"

"I think it's the douchebag," Niki said, frowning down at the phone. "But the number is blocked."

"Delete it."

Niki chewed her lip some more, re-reading the text. "Hm, no. I'll leave it."

Pria sat up and took the phone.

Blocked Number: Break ups are hard, aren't they? Your timing in ending things with me is almost comically psychic. And there's so much going on right now. I told you I needed you to be strong enough to keep yourself whole, that hasn't changed. I'm proud of you for taking the stand you did. What you don't know is, I've never been strong or even smart where you were concerned. I'm definitely not being smart now. Whatever you think of me, or come to think of me later, I want you to know that I do love you. I love you, Pria. I love you so much, and I wish that made difference, but it doesn't. It had to be this way. Please, keep being strong. Hate me if you have to, but don't lose your smile. Your smile will be the one thing that always stays with me.

Pria chucked the phone away, chest heaving from the rage burning inside of her. How dare he tell her he loved her now? Asshole! Pria curled against Niki. "Tomorrow, you and I are going apartment hunting. I want my own place. I can't stay here anymore, knowing Sal will have him hanging around. I won't be able to breathe."

Niki took her hand. "Then that's what we'll do."

Pria nodded, struggling to keep her anger, but sorrow broke through and the tears came again. She cried against Niki until day darkened to night.

***

Sometime during the night, the sound of her bedroom door crashing open made Pria and Niki jump from the bed.

"Oh my God!" Niki cried.

"Sal, what the hell?" Pria yelled as Sal grabbed her by the neck. His fist connected with her face.

"Are you fucking happy?" he shouted into her face. "You always have to be the good girl, don't you?" He jumped on Pria, hitting her again.

"Sal, no!" Niki yelled as she jumped on his back. Sal threw her off, pulling out his favorite Glock. He held the muzzle to Pria's head. Niki went white, paralyzed with fear.

Pria stared at her brother, wondering what the hell was happening. Her face throbbed, her body trembled. She couldn't move. Didn't know what to say. "S–Sal ... W–what—"

He burst into sobs, hugging Pria to his chest. "I'm sorry, bimba. I'm so sorry."

Pria tried scrambling out of his arms, but that only enraged Sal more. He slammed her up against the nearest wall. "Why couldn't you keep your fucking legs closed? If you wanted me dead, you should have done it yourself, you conniving bitch."

Pria fought back the nausea, desperate to keep her senses. "I love you, Sal. I'd never want you dead."

"Liar!" He struck her again, making blood squirt from her nose. He thumbed the blood oozing from her nose, even as tears continued to spill from his cold eyes. His face contorted, then he pulled Pria to him again, his chest heaving as he cried into her hair. "I'm so sorry for not being what you needed me to be. I could've been a betta brother. In so many ways. I'm so sorry."