Chapter Twenty

The drive from the realtor's office to her new house was scenic. Winter meant all the flora and fauna were dormant, but trees lined the winding roads. She'd become familiar with the town because of Donati. He'd often brought her here during the summer when he'd wanted to escape Sal's demands.

It felt a little wrong somehow, choosing this town to live in, but she'd fallen in love with the place. The small-town vibe, the pretty little houses with enough property for kids and pets to run around, the lake, and the little shop at the end of the road that acted as a pizzeria but resembled a tavern from the 1800s.

Not trying to relive her time with him, she'd made sure to buy a home on the opposite side of the lake that "Drew" had always taken her to. It was the location, the friendly locals, and the feel of living in a place that could be a scene in a Hallmark movie, that appealed to her.

Her Audi wheeled its way over a tiny bridge and the lake broke free from the trees. The large expanse of placid water was now iced over. A small area was sectioned off, and it was there the local kids did their ice skating.

Pria made a left just after the bridge, putting the lake in the rearview mirror, and drove a quarter mile up the road. There were no streetlights to pollute the pristine properties. Some homes had fences, but most used shrubbery to cordon off their property. Neighbors waved to each other. Nearly everyone had a garden, and wood piles for their wood-burning stoves. Chimneys smoked, scenting the air invitingly.

Her home sat on a corner lot. A little, 1920s train-style home on half an acre of green grass. A short, white wooden fence built to resemble the type used to corral horses blocked off the two sides of the house that were exposed to the road. The tiny parking spot was wide enough for two cars, but met the road with no driveway to speak of. A huge black walnut tree grew to one side of the parking spot. Winter-bearing plants lined the other two sides, with a small opening that led to the neighbors that were on the left side and behind her house.

Pria liked the implication. It meant the neighbors had often visited each other.

She got out of the car and waited for Niki's car to pull up beside hers.

Niki's eyes scanned the road, looking up the street at one of the houses. She seemed fixated on it.

"You okay?" Pria asked.

Niki blinked and smiled widely. "Uh, yeah. I'm great. Are you?"

Pria looped her arm through Niki's and led her up the path from the tarred parking spot to the side of the house where a small, shaded patio led to sliding glass doors. "I think I'm great too."

"But are you happy, Pria?" Niki turned her concerned expression on Pria. "I know I pushed you into buying this house, but I just really think it will be good for you to get out of the city."

"I'm terrified, but I'm glad you found this place. It's perfect!"

"Good." Niki hugged her. "Now that this is settled, we need to talk about the verdict. Tomorrow evening after I get off work?"

Pria agreed and Niki hugged her one more time, then left Pria alone in her new home. Walking around the house, Pria's nervousness melted away. For the first time since her life had gone to hell, she felt hopeful.

***

"Crap," Pria muttered when she slipped and almost dropped her laundry basket. As if she didn't hate the task enough, now she'd almost been killed by it. Stupid random sock. Righting herself, she hefted the basket onto the dryer and lifted the lid to the washer, thinking of the evening before. When she'd arrived at her apartment to finish the process of packing, it was to find her front door vandalized and spray-painted with the words, "Fed Whore," in bright red letters.