Chapter Thirteen

Pria was at a loss as she sat in the restaurant, finally admitting to herself after forty-five minutes that she was being stood up. Again. It was bullshit. It was all bullshit and Pria was tired of convincing herself anything would change. Drew was ... Drew. And the more time Drew spent with Sal, the more of an ass Drew became. And Drew was an ass. It was time to accept that.

She signaled for the check, passing a hand discreetly over her eyes to wipe away the wetness, then reached for her wallet. His big hand landed on hers, skin hot. Pria looked up at Drew, working to keep her face impassive. "You're late."

He gave a shrug as he took the seat opposite her. "You know Sal."

The waitress came over and took his order, completely forgetting Pria had asked for the bill. Drew's food came quickly, and the owner came out to chat with him. Drew laughed with the man and they bantered back and forth before the owner disappeared into the kitchen again. Pria frowned, only just realizing this was a common occurrence. Any time they went anywhere, an owner or manager or some member of the staff came tripping over themselves to greet Drew.

It was usually amusing, but today, it made Pria want to scream. She opened her mouth to speak, but before she could, his phone went off. He answered texts as he ate his food, forgetting he was supposed to be giving her his attention.

Pria held her tongue for as long as she could, but the more he stared at his phone, the more it all boiled up inside her, and through a sheen of tears, she blurted, "I'm done."

Chewing on his chicken marsala, he looked at her untouched plate, and cocked his head in question.

"I think ... maybe it's time we end this." She didn't realize that saying those words out loud would hurt so much. The last thing she wanted was to end her relationship with him, but what could she do? Keep making a fool of herself?

Drew stopped chewing his food for a moment, then swallowed and sat back. His expression remained blank, but she was sure she saw a touch of relief flash in his eyes. "Are you sure?"

She shrugged as she toyed with her wine glass. "I think it's what you want. But for some reason, you won't say the words."

Drew sat there for a moment and searched her features. "Let me finish my food and I'll take you home."

She stood. "I know the way." She took some money out of her wallet and put it on the table. "Have a good life."

Trying not to cry until she made it home, she held her head high. The neighborhood wasn't the greatest, but having grown up traipsing all over the Bronx, she wasn't worried about walking alone. Except halfway down the block, tears began to blur her vision and anger took hold of her. He hadn't even fought, hadn't argued. He hadn't cared. The stupid man just wanted to keep eating his food like everything was fine in his world.

How had things changed so quickly? What had she done to make him pull away and lose interest in her almost overnight? And now, he'd behaved as if her ending everything meant nothing. Bischero.

Swiping angrily at her tears, she turned suddenly and tried hailing a cab. Mama would know all the right things to say to make her feel empowered by her decision.

"Pria!" Hearing his voice had her dropping her arm and turning away. She headed toward the subway again. Blinking away her tears, she quickened her step as he got closer.

"Goddammit, Pria! Wait for me."

She ignored him, but he caught up to her and tugged on her arm. She glared up at him. "Piss off, Drew."

"What the hell is your problem? You don't walk out on someone like that," he nearly shouted as he towered over her.

"You wanted me to sit there like a good girl while you ate your food? I want to go home." She tried tugging her arm away from him, but he turned and pulled her behind him.