Chapter Twenty-Nine

It didn't take Pria long to realize that she was having a good time. She got a glimpse into the seedier world that made up New York City, and in a weird way, it captivated her. There were days where work didn't even feel like work and days where her heart ached as she helped the agents dig deep into their cases.

Working for Rosario was much more fulfilling than working for The Group. For the first time in her life, Pria felt as if she had a purpose and the feeling was a heady one.

She'd begun joining the female agents in their workouts and loved the way her body responded to the aches and pains that created. She worked more closely with Rosario than with Brogue and that suited her just fine. Seeing Brogue daily wasn't helpful to her mental health, so she did what she could to stay hidden, and only came out when she knew he wasn't in the office. It didn't stop him from popping into her office and saying hello to her every morning.

It was interesting to Pria how Brogue compartmentalized the different aspects of his personality. She remembered him as Drew, with his constant mood changes and evasive speech.

And Brogue? Well, Brogue was easy to be around. He was calm, playful, and flirtatious, much like Drew in their earlier days together, but also more laid back and relaxed. Brogue always waited until he was done working for the day before sending her texts that checked up on her and encouraged her to have dinner with him. He never pushed too far, but never let Pria forget that he was still waiting for them to have that discussion.

Agent Donati was cool and meticulous. The one time she'd had to stay late and help him, they were alone in her office but he'd been completely professional. She'd been a little uneasy that night, wondering if he was going to push his dinner agenda. Not a single mischievous smile or teasing comment was sent her way as he concentrated on what they were doing.

Agent Donati was on his laptop sitting inches away from her, sharing her desk space. "I think we should go over the alarm settings one more time. I want to make sure we have it down pat before we go in."

Pria pulled up the file he requested. "I'm not worried about the alarms as much as I am any pending updates. They could change everything. Why don't I pull up their systems history? It'll give me an idea of what to expect if anything changes between now and the day of the raid. I'll be able to adjust that much more quickly."

Brogue glanced at her. "That would be great. Thanks."

"So," Pria asked. "You really believe Sal? This place is the holding area?"

"Believe Sal?" He snorted. "I did my due diligence and I'm certain we're on the right path. If we're going to find those women, this is the place."

They were quiet after that as each did their part until Brogue rubbed at his eyes. "I'm spent," he said tiredly. "Let's pick this back up tomorrow."

The moment the words were out of his mouth, it was as if a director had just called cut on a scene. Agent Donati melted away and Brogue rose up. The change was visible although he didn't say another word as he regarded her.

"I won't be in the office until noon. I have some training I need to take in the morning."

"No worries. I'll probably sleep in a bit anyway," he said. They cleared up the work space for a few quiet moments and as they headed out, he placed a hand at the small of her back. "I'll take you to the Amtrak. Your route doesn't run at this time."

She blinked up at him. "How do you know that?"

He didn't answer, saying only, "Why don't you ever drive in? I don't like you taking the train. Our hours are too crazy."

"How do you know that, Donati?" Pria persisted.

"I'll tell you if you call me, Brogue."

Pria didn't even know the words were forming in her head until they passed from her lips. "You never liked me calling you by name. Figure, why start now?"