Chapter Thirty

That evening, Pria walked out of the elevator, into the ground floor lobby. Brogue stood by the exit, giving her a once over. Knowing there was no use to run, she walked over to him. "Looking a bit peckish, Agent Donati. You should eat something."

"My thoughts exactly. You owe me a meal."

Pria gave him a barely-there curve of her lips. "Unfortunately, you have to take a rain check. I've got plans."

"Niki can take that fucking rain check. You're going to pay up." He took her arm and led her away.

Pria bit her lip, bravado slipping as he led her to the parking garage. In this moment, he was all Drew and it made her nervous. The garage was alive with people getting ready to go home. His truck beeped and before she could say anything, he opened the door and lifted her up into it.

"Put your seat belt on," he said as he climbed in.

Scowling, Pria grabbed the belt and snapped it into place. "You can take me to the train station."

"Pass me the gum."

"Get it yourself."

Gold clashed with brown. He reached for the gum, keeping his eyes locked on hers. He was so close. Without meaning to, she inhaled softly. Her belly swirled as his scent clouded around her, making her breath come a little quicker. He lowered his gaze to her mouth, but when her lips parted, he popped a stick into his mouth and settled back in his seat. Pulling out of the parking spot, he asked, "What do you want to eat?"

"I'm not hungry."

He groaned, mouth drawing down distastefully. "Sushi it is."

They sat across from each other at her favorite restaurant. Brogue was scowling down at the menu and Pria hid her smile behind her water glass. Brogue hated sushi.

It had never stopped him from bringing her here, though, when she'd asked. Her smile faded at the thought. No one she'd ever dated, really dated, would have done that for her. "Why are we here?"

Brogue looked up at her. "Because you ate my fucking lunch."

"No." She shook her head. "The truth. You hate sushi. Why do this to yourself?"

He put the menu down to give her his attention. "Because I knew you wouldn't turn it down."

Pria kept her gaze level. "Are you enjoying this little game of yours?"

"Not at all." He leaned forward onto the table. "I wanted to give us a chance to talk."

"We already have. You were clear. I was—"

"Stop," he interrupted. "There's more to be said."

"Like what, Agent Donati?" Pria leaned forward, matching his posture. It was difficult enough to keep her voice lowered, but there was no controlling her words. "Are you going to tell me that you didn't use me and lie to me for two years? Because you did, and there's no getting around that. Are you going to tell me that you're sorry? You had that opportunity and passed it up. So excuse me if I'm having a little trouble seeing this as more than a game, because you and I really have nothing left that needs to be said. You were clear. I was the most convenient target you had, and you did what needed doing. Be satisfied with the outcome. You worked hard for it."

The waiter came. Any other time, she may not have ordered, but the words were bubbling up inside of her, demanding to be let loose. She rambled off her favorite items and tapped her foot until the waiter left. She didn't give Brogue a chance to say anything. "I think what really bothers me isn't so much the fact that you used me, but the fact that you let me fall for you. I would have welcomed you as a friend. You could have gotten your 'in' that way, but no, you let me fawn all over you like a puppy. Even when you warned me not to let my feelings get involved, you wouldn't let me pull away. Every time—every-single-time I tried—you found a way to make me stay, and that's the hardest part for me because it doesn't make any sense. The only thing I can figure is that maybe Sal behaved differently whenever I was mad at you, but even that could have been worked around. The way he relied on you, he would have gotten over it quickly enough."