Chapter Two

The next morning, Pria was ready by the time the doorbell rang. Hair in a ponytail, dressed in sturdy boots, jeans, and a tank top. She was clipping a pair of work gloves to the belt loop of her pants as she opened the door. She smiled at Drew, but squealed excitedly when she saw who was with him. "Mr. Borks!" Pria dropped to her knees and took the animal's fat head in her hands, raining kisses all over its muzzle.

Drew pulled a face as he looked down at them. "Is it wrong to be jealous of a dog?"

Pria looked up at him with a sassy grin. "Play your cards right."

"That's the plan," he said. "So, is this where I meet your parents and tell them my intentions are wholly honorable where you're concerned?"

The night before, during their marathon of texting, Pria had been honest in telling Drew that she still lived with her parents. She had offered to meet him somewhere else to avoid the awkwardness of having to meet them, but he'd declined, saying that he believed in the old school way of doing things. He would pick her up at her door and if her parents were home, he would gladly meet them. The sentiment made Pria smile. She was a sucker for men who were raised right.

"My parents aren't home, so it looks as if you're in the clear this time around." She stood, brushing off her knees.

"Off the hook, my ass!"

Pria cringed at the sound of her brother's voice booming from inside the house.

"We should go. My brother is worse than my parents." She moved to push Drew back and away from the house. The heat of his body penetrated his shirt and Pria had to tamp down the urge to let her hand travel over his torso. Good grief! Was the rest of him as firm as his chest?

"Donde vai?" Her brother asked where she was going as he came to the doorway and angled himself in front of Pria. He pierced Drew with a hard glare.

"Non t'impicciare." As she told her brother it was none of his business, she slipped past him to push Drew back again, but then narrowed her eyes at him too. It looked like her brother's protective body language and tone of voice had pricked at something inside of Drew and an answering challenge lit his eyes.

Pria groaned out loud when she realized Drew didn't shy away from provocation.

Drew stepped around Pria and extended his hand. "I'm Drew. Your sister is going to help me build a doghouse for—" he looked down at the dog, "—whatever his name is. I haven't decided yet."

"Drew? No last name?" her brother asked, his tone reminding Pria of their father.

The two men were locked in their handshake.

Folding her arms over her chest, Pria tapped her foot impatiently.

"Andrew Ricci. I work in construction. I have no siblings, was raised by my very single mother, and I have no intention of disrespecting your sister. Are we good?"

Her brother hesitated as he took in the other man, but slowly eased his death grip. "Last name Ricci? Parla l'italiano?"

"No. Other than a few curse words here and there."

Her brother sniffed and finally released Drew's hand. "Well, at least you're Italian. We have people coming for dinner. Pria needs to help Mama in the kitchen."

"Too easy." Drew pulled out his phone and sent an AirDrop, making Sal's phone ping. "Here's my number. You can call if you need us to pick anything up on our way back."

"Now that the swords have been put away..." Pria looked at Drew. "Can we go now?"

Drew jutted his chin at her brother. "He hasn't introduced himself yet."