Chapter Thirty-Seven

Pria never spoke as Brogue escorted her off the plane and to a waiting car. There was nothing to say, and for now, no more tears to cry. She watched as the busy city faded, giving way to green grass and trees. As the evening grew darker, she spotted a few deer. Pretty. It's all so pretty. She closed her eyes against the view and in the darkness, she wondered how Niki could be dead.

How am I still breathing? How is my heart beating and my brain thinking, but Niki's isn't? It didn't make sense to her. It seemed impossible.

"We have a couple more hours before we get there. Do you need to stop?"

Pria shook her head. She was tired of sitting, but wanted to get to wherever they were going and maybe take a shower.

"Sarah, look at me."

She flinched. It would take her a while to get used to her new name. Brogue insisted on using it, conditioning her to respond to it.

"You're going to be safe here."

"It's not me I'm worried about. Mama ..."

He cut her off. "Your parents are in protective custody."

"I know your trying to be helpful. I do, but my best friend was just shot and killed by her own partner. Anything could happen at this point."

"They're safe, Sarah. I made sure of it myself. Nothing will happen to them."

And that had to be enough, didn't it?

They reached the house shortly before midnight. Despite the late hour, the lights were on. Swallowing down her nervousness, Pria grabbed her single backpack, steeled her nerves, and got out of the car. A little giggle escaped her.

Brogue looked at her curiously. "What's so funny?"

She sighed, eyeing the house dubiously. "I was thinking about how we fought over me not meeting your family." Her sardonic laughter was harsh in the quiet night. "And now that I wish I'd never laid eyes on you, I have to play nice with your mom. Is that irony? I think that's irony. Maybe not. I don't know."

Brogue didn't respond.

Pria looked at the large farmhouse. It was hard to make out the details in the dark, but she figured she'd have plenty of time to explore over the following days. Brogue let them in with his key. A snarl caught her attention and a butterball of a dog came scurrying down the hallway at full speed with a vicious growl. At the last moment, the animal launched itself at Brogue. He caught the animal easily, kicking the door shut behind him as his face was attacked by an excited, drooling tongue.

"Oh my God!" Pria exclaimed. "Borkster!"

The animal looked over at her, tossing his big body in her direction, trying to lick her face. She moved closer to pet him and accepted his kisses with amazement. "You kept him."

"Of course I did." He set the animal down. "Did you think I'd give him up?"

Her words held a note of venom when she replied, "Well, I mean, he was a means to an end, wasn't he? Just like me."

Brogue stretched his neck. "Come on. Let's go see who's up."

Pria followed him through the house until they reached the kitchen. At the table was an older couple engrossed in a game of cards. The man looked up first, a scowl on his face. He looked mean, with hard, shrewd eyes that pierced into Pria as if she were some sort of criminal. Of course, his family would be upset at her. Her presence was unwanted, along with any potential danger she may bring.

The woman looked up next and her eyes were as shrewd as the old mans. Her bold, brown orbs traveled over the stranger in her home. Pria stepped closer to Brogue, a small hand gripping a handful of his shirt at his lower back. It had been a long time since Pria had felt this helpless. The way Brogue's parents were looking at her now made anxiety rise up inside of her.