Chapter 66 | Collision

TW: mentions of Sexual assault

LEVAI

She's wrapped in my arms, with my jacket spalled on top of her.

Samael grabs at the staircase railing, with a look in his eyes that speaks louder than any words he could ever mutter. He knows we won't stop him.

She's been like this since I've gotten her.

The only words Theo has been able to muster.

He sits there, his head buried inbetween his arms, with his back against the wall.

I want to know what happened.
It burns me to know why she's like this.

But the insatiable curiosity which ran through me on the way over was smothered the moment I saw her.

All I cared for was taking care of Miri at this moment.

My fingers lace through her hair that's sprayed in sweat. "Keep your eyes open for me baby."

My heart squeezes at my words, but just like the perfect girl she was, she did as I asked.

Ever so slightly, her eyes fluttered against the light, and I rocked her back and forth.

We were all frozen in our tracks.

Her more than any of us.

We couldn't even hear the screams from that came from the apartment Miri was in.

The pleas, the begs, the terror.

It didn't register.

Her shallow breaths fan against my shirt, summoning all the goosebumps in my body to rise above the surface.

We also didn't register the phone call that vibrated through my jacket pocket. But Miri did.

She stirred in my arms, and I took the phone out.

Delia.

My mother was home.

And her employee was right here, lying in my arms five hours from her place of work.

It was late, too late for Miriam not to be home.
Yet none of us moved.
We couldn't.

"Get in the car."

Samael's words were the only ones that got us to eventually move. Theo rose to his feet but he couldn't open his eyes, and Miriam had gone lax against my arms.

A bloodied handprint was left on the bar handle that allowed us to come inside of the apartment building.

Samael was covered in blood that wasn't his own.

Theo dried his face before holding the door to allow me and a lifeless Miriam into the back. Her head rested against the crease of my arms, and despite everything, she still seemed content.