Chapter 35 | Insatiable

He made me whole.

I was never really falling apart, not as far as I thought that I was. He helped me realise that, that all my little cracks were simply just that. Little. All then he sewed them back up, with a fine needle in hand, stitching what should have already been there. Completion.

I'm laying in his arms, on a chair in the corner in his room. The remnants of despair and confusion still linger in the air, like an aftertaste. But his smile against the fallen tears threatens it's disillusionment. I loved how he could always manage to do that.

We rock each other back in forth in a promise to one another. Never to let go, never to stay silent. Even as much as our hearts begged us to.

"How did you find out?" I ask, my voice still shattered from the wave of emotions we just fought through together.

"I had a suspicion with all the phone calls... Samuel is also familiar with his area." He looks up at me, from under my touch.

"I asked him to look into him, to tell me what he knew." His eyes return to a darkness, and I can't help but feel the prickling of my skin. "You thought I was cheating on you?"

"What- no. I wanted to know if he'd had a pattern of this type of behaviour with others. I wanted to know how dangerous he truly was."

I looked away from him, feeling shame rise above my neck.

"Does he know where you're living Miriam?" He says my full name, something I'm so not used to hearing from his mouth anymore. It's like the extra letters create a slight distance away from us, and I don't like it at all.

"...Yes."

He pauses.

It wasn't just that he knew where I lived that caused me shame. It was that I'd placed Delia, my employer's home, under threat. But I knew that he couldn't possibly be stupid enough to do anything to that place. Rich people always have their ways. He used to taunt. I'm starting to think there was some truth behind that statement.

No, Elijah's target had always been me, a feeble no one from the worst parts of our area.

"He won't steal anything I promise."

"I could give less of a fuck if he stole anything. He could rob that entire household for all I cared, that's not why I'm so concerned right now." He holds two of my fingers, as if they're slipping away.

"I would die before I let you get hurt. I won't allow it."

The emotion in his eyes swim through, and I know that he's serious. He's never been so serious in all his life.

"I'll be safe." I let out, but again the words seem shaky as even I can't promise myself that.

"I trust Samael with my life, and also with yours. He'll alternate with Theo while I'm gone, to make sure that home is okay." My stomach clenches at his words. I caused this, and I felt so embarrassed that he had to even come up with this game plan. "I'll just tell Delia that they need their places renovated, just until I come back." He'd be gone for three weeks for his second round of University admissions.

"Is that okay?" He asks me.

I nod at him, and my agreement almost instantly puts him at rest. Almost.