30| Illusions Of The Past

Toriel's POV 🥧

As soon as I was running, I could only ignore the sound of Itachi and the others calling out to me, begging me to come back.

"I have to know what's going on and try to put a stop to it, while I look for Ryobo!" I thought, as I kept running.

By the time I finally found where the screaming was coming from, I could feel my face turning pale, even though my fur is always white, as I froze.

Standing on top of a burning building was Ryobo, but as Itachi already said, he was different.

Both of his eyes were red, monster features were seen on him and there was a figure standing right next to him.

From what I could make out, that figure was a female monster.

"Excellent job, Ryobo..." I heard the monster say as she chuckled sinisterly. "You lured her in."

Ryobo didn't respond as he just looked at the female monster.

"Who are you and what have you done with Ryobo?!?!" I demanded, as I pointed at the figure that stood next to Ryobo.

"It should be obvious who I am...Toriel." The woman laughed as she and Ryobo jumped down from the building, before the building was completely on fire.

When I heard the woman's voice a bit more clearly, after coming closer to me, my eyes widened in disbelief.

"No! You can't be - - !" I went.

The woman only laughed again before she was closer enough to where I could see her face.

"You're...me?!?!" I could only utter out.

"Yes. I am you, sweetie...Your horrortale you!" She says while chuckling wickedly.

"How is this possible?! I thought Alphys' cure took care of you for the time being!" I went.

"The cure did work like how it was supposed to do...I just waited it out for the cure to wear off." She says while looking at the nails on her hand.

"When it was weak enough, that's when I took over Ryobo, leading up to the bad dreams he's told you about."

I gritted my teeth after hearing that as a burst of flames appeared in my hands.

"I won't let you hurt Ryobo or manipulate him anymore further!" I said as I felt a powerful feeling in me.

It was making the flames stronger within every second. It almost like adrenaline was flowing and rushing through my veins inside me. A power that I've never felt, circulate through me before.

"I'd like to see you try, you weak bitch." The horrortale me laughed. "As for what I prefer to be called, I think Euna would be nice. It's perfect and sounds like the right name for me and for a yangire."

Without any hesitation, I immediately went right for Euna, in attempt to stop her and snap Ryobo out of her control.

"I sense great sadness coming from your soul..." Euna says as she blocked the attack while she smirked. "I bet you're drowning in your own guilt and regret because of that."

"Get out of my head and shut up!!!" I shot back, before I hurled more than one fireball at her.

"Desperately trying to run away from it, when you know it's not gonna do you any good anyways." Euna continued as she easily dodged them.

"You're so regretful and guilty so much that you'd want to commit suicide on yourself to escape it and end it all...Right?"

As I heard that, I could feel heartbreak as I recalled that, which resulted in me letting my guard down, giving Euna an opening chance to send me flying and crashing into an abandoned building.

I winced in pain as I struggled to get up, even though my legs were starting to feel weak because of how much pain that they're already in.

"Come on, Tori! Get it together! She's trying to get in your head and emotionally break you so you wouldn't be able to put up much of a fight!" I thought to myself, trying to get my senses together.

"It's pointless no matter how many times you try to coax yourself out of it, Toriel...You forget. I am you, but a Horrortale. We can know what the other Toriel is thinking, alternative universe or not." Euna says, making me jolt my head up at that.

"You always will be an insufferable failure...
And it'll always haunt you forever because of that. Those poor six children you failed to protect from Asgore, before Frisk came along and changed everything."

I could only feel tears appearing and running down to the sides of my face as I heard that, making me recall the memory and the screams of those six children I failed to protect.

"SHUT UP!" I screamed at Euna tearfully, which only made her laugh, enjoying the suffering I was going through while she was watching in amusement.

"You've already suffered long enough, Tori! That's why me and Itachi are always going to stay with you, no matter what, so you're never like this and all alone again!" I suddenly heard Ryobo's voice echo in my head, as a memory of his warm smile appeared in my mind.

That gentle smile that was always full of love, joy, and kindness.

It made me recall the memory when he gave me comfort at the time we were at Alphys' house to take care of my horrortale problem.

"You got this, Toriel! I know you're strong! No matter how many times you're told how weak you are, I know you got a strong heart and soul in there somewhere!

Women are tough and you're one of them! So, don't let anyone underestimate you. Show them what you're really made of!" I heard Itachi's voice echo in my head next, before a memory of Itachi appeared in my mind too.

Him showing his bravery to me by throwing a snake back into the woods one time, and his strength by crushing an apple with his bare hand another time, and showing justice to others when he witnessed a monster kid being bullied by another.

"Do you need help with that?" I remembered him asking me one time, while we were making pies together.

I couldn't stop the tears appearing and falling from my eyes as I was recalling those memories and the confidence that Ryobo and Itachi had given me during those times.

They were both so understanding and really caring to me...

Then I just stood up.