Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

She used her lasso to bring the robots closer to her so that she could impale them with her shadow knives. Holding one of the robots, she slung it into another one that Steve was fighting. This gave Steve enough of a distraction to decapitate both with his shield. Natasha cried out and Christine didn't even look away from her opponent while she sent on of her shadows to help Natasha out. When a robot began to shoot at her, Christine ducked behind one of her puppets and then shot at it from behind her cover. She made sure to confirm that the android was dead before dropping her cover.

Christine narrowly missed being knocked over by Vision and Ultron fighting each other. She watched in awe at Vision using the stone on his head as a high-powered beam against Ultron. When other robots tried to gang up on him, he used his strength to rip the robots apart. All with his eyes locked onto Ultron's.

An arm locked around her waist and moved her out of the way before she was hit by debris that had fallen from the fights in the air. Christine's chest was pressed against Steve's chest, their heavy breathing causing for them to graze one another. She relaxed into his touch and took the short break to catch her breath.

"You okay?" He asked. He was low enough to give them privacy, but high enough to hear over the battle happening around them. She gave a hurried nod. He held her a second longer before reluctantly letting her go. "This place is crumbling and I don't know how much more it can take"

"Are you talking about the church or the city"

"Both"

"We have to end this soon."

He nodded glancing around them. More and more robots began to swarm the church, coming from other parts of the city. Christine could see how his eyebrows were pinched in worry. Without thinking, she stretched up to his height and rubbed in between his eyebrows before dropping her hand to his cheek. She didn't have to put much pressure on his cheek before he turned to look at her.

"We'll save this city, and we will kill every last one of those robots or die trying."

His eyes switched in between hers before he glanced down at her lips. He didn't break his gaze from her lips as he spoke "Together"

"Together" she affirmed.

"You know, with the benefit of hindsight-"Ultron started. Christine turned her head to see the Hulk grab ahold of him and kick him in the air, interrupting him. Ultron flew backwards into the city. The remaining robots started to retreat when they noticed that they were being outnumbered. Hulk roared at the more time and they started sprinting and flying away from the team.

"They'll try to leave the city.''

"We can't let them, not even one"

"I'm on it" Rhodey claimed as he flew into the air after the robots. Christine watched him fly after the robots and then looked at the rest of the team. They seemed as exhausted as she was. She couldn't even feel her fingers anymore. Pietro sped around and made sure that the church was clear before they discussed the plan. Christine shifted her weight to try and alleviate how much her feet hurt from being on them all day.

"We gotta move out." Steve grabbed his shield and attached it to his back. "Even I can tell that the air is getting thinner. You guys get to the boats, I'll sweep for stragglers, be right behind you."

"What about the core?" Christine said.

"I'll protect it" All eyes went to the oldest twin. Pietro looked at her in shock and grabbed her hand. He opened his mouth to protest, but one look from his older sibling and he stopped. They shared an invisible conversation before He nodded his head and kissed her on the forehead. "It's my job."

Christine shot her a wink and a smile before she turned to head to the car with Natasha and Clint.

"I know what I need to do. The dining room!" Clint said, he opened the door to the truck and got into it. Natasha followed and Christine was about to, when she heard her name being called. Clint and Natasha also paused. Christine turned in time to see Steve jogging back to them. He stopped in front of her, and she waited for him to say something. Instead, he pulled her into his arms and their lips collided.

After a moment of shock, Christine responded. She moved her lips in time with his and she buried one of her hands in his hair while the other one rested on his cheek. His lips gently guided hers throughout the kiss and she followed his lead. His hands never strayed from her waist except to caress her cheek. The sound of whooping and whistling brought Christine from her cloud nine and she finally tuned into the noises around her.

Clint, Natalie, and Wanda were looking at the two kiss with bright smiles and cheering them on. Steve pulled away first and she finally opened her eyes. She met his eyes and couldn't help the shy smile that came across her lips. He matched her smile and then gave her one last peck before pulling away completely. He didn't spare the others a glance before he jogged off into the other direction to search for the remaining robots.

Christine watched him round the corner before she turned around to face a smirking Clint and Natasha. She rolled her eyes before hopping in the truck with them. "So, what was it you were saying about the dining room wall?"