Chapter 42: Race Eleven

Start from the beginning

"Babe you're coming with me to the circuit." Lando decided. They eventually got in the car and Lando turned the radio. "Wow." Lando's timing had not been good for switching the radio on. It even made Emilia giggle.

"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and desert you." Rick Astley sung.

"We just got rick rolled by the radio." Emilia shook her head. "Are you worried about people suspecting things about us with you driving me to the circuit?" Emilia queried as they arrived at the track. She was hoping for an answer she knew she wasn't going to get.

"There's always speculation but until we confirm it over the summer break they won't know for definite." Well it was a better answer than Emilia had hoped for. He had mentioned that he was going to do it over the summer break again which looked set now but she wished he would throw his rules out the window and hold her hand. "Oh I'll be at the Williams garage in like ten minutes." Lando informed as Emilia left him to go into the McLaren motorhome.

"Um okay?" Emilia wasn't sure what was going on but Lando had gone so she couldn't ask any more questions. She observed the sky as she continued her walk. It was mostly clear and there were a few clouds dotted in the sky. They were the puffy ones that looked soft and bouncy but obviously, they were balls of rain, they weren't actually bouncy.

Lando arrived at the Williams garage as Emilia was discussing data with John. She noticed him and excused herself from John.

"Hey." Emilia distanced herself from Lando to make sure no one suspected anything was going on.

"I brought you a surprise." Lando grinned. He peeked round the corner and waved something in. It turned to be someone and quite a few people. "I think you need my family's support today more than I do." Lando's family were all wearing a dark blue colour for Williams rather than papaya that they were wearing the previous day. Emilia put her hand over her mouth in shock of Lando's kind gesture. She hugged Lando's family individually and Lando's siblings were even wearing Williams tops with Emilia's number on. She felt crying but knew she couldn't again. Cameras had now appeared so Emilia had to be careful about what she said.

"This was all Lando's idea." His Mum told the Williams driver. She gazed to the McLaren driver who was smiling leaning against a pole in the background. Emilia was so disappointed she couldn't go and kiss him but gave a him a smile that conveyed her feelings.

"Are you staying for the race?" Emilia queried.

"Yes darling, that's the whole point why we're here." Cisca replied. Emilia could not believe Lando. She knew this was one of two races that Lando's family came to – the other one being Belgium. He'd given her someone in the garage to support her as her Grandad couldn't be here.

"I can't believe this. Thank you so much." Emilia didn't cry but had definitely been close. She hated how she kept almost crying. It was annoying this point. "There's definitely space for you all here. Aurelia can you show them around the garage. We have to get to the driver's parade." Emilia had to leave with Lando to the end of the pitlane so she could board the truck. "Lando I cannot believe you did that for me."

"You deserve to have someone in your garage supporting you." Lando answered.

"They come to two races a year. Don't you think they should be in your garage?" Emilia didn't want Lando missing out on having his family here.

"I'd rather them be with you. I asked them last week and they bought all the merch without me knowing. It'll make the media talk but they're always going to talk. They don't know our secret yet." Lando grinned. Emilia had to really resist the urge to kiss him.