Chapter 12

Emilia was elated with fourth. She had partied had that night after the race. Eventually the excitement wore off and Emilia put her almost podium down to luck but she was still happy with fourth in her third race. Emilia had found happiness but it was momentary.

Emilia's  joy had ended when she lost her hair straighteners. Emilia turned her room over searching for them. She was half-unpacked and also half-packed for the next race week so Emilia had no hope in finding them.

Emilia really needed to find them. It was Friday night, five days after the race in Shanghai, with all the drivers back in England and she was meant to be leaving to go out to dinner with George, Alex and Lando soon. Alex had booked dinner at an insanely posh restaurant so Emilia felt that she had to dress up.

Emilia realised she may have left them in her hotel room in China. Though, both Aurelia and Emilia had checked the room many times before they left. She figured her best friend might know where the lost item was. Maybe they were in her suitcase. The call rang only a few times before the Spaniard picked up.

"Hey Em, what's up?" Aurelia asked cheerfully.

"Do you know where my straighteners are?" Emilia questioned. She was audibly searching her draws again desperate to not waste time. There was about half an hour left for her to get ready until she had to leave if she wanted to be on time and she still had to do her makeup.

"Um, no why?"

"They are definitely not in my house." Emilia replied.

"Let me check my suitcase." Aurelia calmly responded. There was a brief pause before she spoke again. "It's in my suitcase. Your curling wand is as well."

"Uh, that is so annoying. I don't remember putting them in there." Emilia stopped ransacking her room as it was confirmed that they were not there.

"Did I borrow them or something?" Aurelia asked just as puzzled as the driver was.

"I'm not sure. Hang on, we got ready for the party Sunday night in your room and had to rush Monday morning so they just ended up in your suitcase I guess." Emilia huffed. She wasn't mad at Aurelia; she was mad at herself for not noticing all week.

"I can give you them back in Imola next week but you're going to need a backup plan for wherever you're going now. Is it a date? Have you got a date?" Aurelia's bubbliness had gone through the roof practically squealing at her incorrect assumptions.

"No, no. It's just a nice dinner with Lando, George and Alex. I guess we'll just have to go with my natural hair." Emilia sighed. Her natural hair was a dark brown with a lighter tint at the end that had been sunkissed over many years hence the fairer shade at the bottom. 

"That's a shame but don't diss you're natural hair. It's much better than just dead straight."

"I don't think so, dead straight is consistent. My waves and random ringlets are not." Emilia argued.

"Okay whatever. You need to be going if you're not already running late." Emilia smirked. Her best friend knew her almost too well.

"I have just under half an hour to do my makeup. I won't be too late."

"Okay, enjoy your dinner. Send me some photos and I want to see your outfit on Instagram before you leave." Aurelia instructed. She truly cared about Emilia and she acknowledged how lucky she was to have her.

"Yeah I will. Thanks for the help. I'll see you next week." Emilia ended the call. She had more time than she thought she would. She attempted to style her hair but just decided the leave it down. Her makeup took less time than she anticipated so there was more time to take photos to satisfy her best friend.