Chapter Twenty-Four

It was quiet within the town, same with the town inside the castle walls.
The townsfolk seemed to be rushing around waiting for Nightmare to explain to them what would happen next.

The children who had been hiding in their homes for the past few days seemed to run from their run down houses to find out any news from the old wise people within the town.

Trying to gather information for the parents of the towns children proved to be a difficult task.

No one knew what was planned for the future, as Nightmare had not said a word since she had been saved by the two strangers.

People were terrified they would be killed or forced to leave their homes.

Some had even locked themselves in their houses refusing to go outside in fear that they would be forced to give up all they had.

Young adults who were brave and fierce gathered outside the old ugly castle door that used to belong to the one true person they all hated so.

It was noontime, Nightmare was in a small withered room with the castles head doctor and Dream, Nightmare's twin brother.

Nightmare had been given a beautiful white glass cup filled with tea.

The tea was made with Bergamot, it was a beautiful plant. The Bergamot tea was given to Nightmare to help her with her throat, but it also helped with anxiety and cleansing.

Nightmare took a sip from the tea without hesitation. It was soothing even with the somewhat bitter taste.

The brew had a taste of spearmint and peppermint with oregano.

The head doctor took off his coat before  folding it neatly, and setting it down next to him on an open chair.

Nightmare gently rested her hands that still had a hold of the brew on her lap, watching the liquid ripple silently.

Dream glanced at his sister with a worried expression as he slowly hugged himself tightly.

The doctor sighed loudly pinching his temples with his hand before sitting himself down on his chair without grace.

"Have you been feeling better, Nightmare?" The doctor question while dropping his bag on the floor lightly.

Nightmare slowly nodded, her eyes not leaving the smooth surface of the brew.

The doctor seemed to eye her up and down for a moment while Dream rubbed Nightmare's shoulder in a attempt to comfort her.

"Can I get a "yes doctor" from you?"
The doctor requests as he leans back in his chair slowly.

Nightmare was silent for a little while, before she started to speak.

Stuttering horribly, Nightmare managed to speak, though her voice sounded strained and hoarse unlike her usual solemn, serene, mesmerizing voice that Dream could recognize through a busy crowd any day.

The doctor nodded, it's been around a week and Nightmare was finally regaining her speech.

"Okay.. so, Nightmare, when you do talk to the people of this kingdom.. What do you want to do to this kingdom. What would you tell them. It's you're kingdom now, you get that choice yourself, my queen." The doctor acknowledged.

Nightmare took a long sip from her brew before take a deep breath.

"I-.... I want.. to.. take down this castle.. and-.. and.. take down the walls around it.. letting people enter without threats.. from the guards.."
Nightmare paused glancing up and the doctor who was nodding gently.

"I.. also want to make sure the people get their money back.. reduce the high taxes.. and stop executions.."
Nightmare finished.

That wasn't all she wanted to say, Nightmare just couldn't seem to speak anymore, her throat hurt slightly.

The doctor nodded, impressed and pleased with Nightmare.

"Alright, I know this was short, but you seem to be doing fine. Just limit yourself Nightmare, if you're throat hurts, stop talking. I can get you some more dried Bay Laurel, it can help if you're throat gets sore. You can put it in certain foods and tea."
The doctor reported before taking his bag and coat and leaving without a word.

Nightmare didn't even glance at him as he left, she just watched the brew ripple with her movement.

Dream stood up from his chair watching Nightmare stare deeply into her cup.

"You did great, Nightmare. Maybe some more practice and your voice will go back to normal."

Lacking a response, Dream frowned slightly at his sisters depressing mood.

"..Lunch is starting soon.. I'm almost sure those two boys will be there."
Dream says trying his sisters mood even the tiniest bit.

Nightmare glanced up from the cup at the door, "Killer and Cross?" Nightmare asked ignoring the pain in her throat from speaking.

Dream quickly smiled and nodded pleased with the slight change in Nightmare's mood.

"Yep! Come on, we can't be late or we will look like fools as we are always early birds when it come too food!"
Dream cheers as he takes the teacup from Nightmare.

Setting it on the table, Dream takes Nightmare's hand and drags him out of the room.

The twins ran down the hall. The loud playful shrieks and hollers coming from the hall helped anyone in the dinning room know the two were coming.

Killer glanced at Cross, the two had been forced to join for lunch.

Cross looked uncomfortable in his chair as he looked around at higher class guards and people who were wealthy compared to Cross and Killer.

There was even a dog seated at the table like a living person.

Cross and Killer both jolted a the door was seemingly kicked open and both Dream and Nightmare entered.

Killer and Nightmare locked eye contact first. Killer seemed to jump from his chair and run to Nightmare engulfing her in a hug.

Cross was hesitant, but in mere moments he too, stood up and went to go greet Nightmare.

Dream smiled at them before going to join Swap at the table.

Ink was also there, but Dream could care less, to be honest he wasn't terrible fond of the forgetful artist.

                                        1006 words