Chapter Eighteen

Everyone in the town seemed to be rushing around reading for the new day ahead of them.

Nightmare looked around checking out stands and random people, obviously avoiding any guards nearby.

Killer was following her closely as Cross looked at the town papers.

Killer had convinced Cross to let Nightmare come along, which Cross didn't mind much.

Cross wouldn't admit it, but he became quite fond of the girl.

Cross let out a sigh as he set the newspaper back on the table it was originally set on outside a store.

Cross planned on walking back to the edge of the forest where Killer was supposed to meet up with Cross, and of course make sure Killer still had Nightmare with him.

Though a single poster caught his attention, or what really caught his attention was the girl on the poster that looked a lot like Nightmare.

It seemed that Nightmare's wanted poster had finally came in.

Cross stared wide eyed at the poster for a moment, Bate's wanted twenty-thousand coins for Nightmare's return.

Keeping a stone cold face, Cross pulled the poster off the wall gently.

Turns out he didn't need to wait at the edge of the forest to get to Killer, Cross had spotted him leading Nightmare into a bookstore minutes ago.

Cross decided that the best option was to find them quickly.

Turning a few corners, Cross quietly entered the book store.

The store was quite small inside making it simple to find the two.

Nightmare and Killer were sitting across from each other at a small table.

Killer was "reading" a picture book while Nightmare reading a dictionary.

Cross strolled over to the table quickly.
Killer seemed to notice Cross and causing his to set down the book.

"Cross? Are you okay?" Killer questions as Cross sits next to Killer at the small table. Nightmare looks up from the dictionary she was reading out of boredom closing it gently.

Cross unfolded the paper he was holding and handed it to Killer.

Nightmare seemed to sense the tension. "Uhm, I'll be outside if you need me, I won't go anywhere.."

Nightmare states as she stands up going outside leaving the other two to talk alone.

Killer let Nightmare leave before looking over the paper, he was quiet.

But only for a moment.

"..You want to turn her in?" Killer asks quietly folding back up the paper.

Killer almost looked sad, only it was hard to tell with his pure black eyes.

Cross looked at Killer before wrapping his arm around him.

"I don't know what to do.." Cross answers quietly.

Killer nods gently.

"Well- we- uh, Uhm.. we take her home.. and.. wait til the reward is higher, yea! Let's do that!" Killer says as he jumps up from his seat.

Cross nods his head, only he gets a bad feeling when he watches Killer's smile fade instantly after looking out the window.

Cross turns his gaze quickly towards the window before the couple had jumper up from their seats and ran outside.

Outside were five guards fighting Nightmare, there were about fifteen more on the ground seemingly dead.

Killer and Cross barely recognized Nightmare at first, she had corrupted.

More guards seemed to appear out of nowhere and started pushing bystanders backwards away from the fight.

Nightmare's tentacles flew around trying to impale some of the guards.

In only a minute Nightmare stabbed one of the guards right in the head causing blood to spray everywhere.

Screams could be heard as the guards were now trying not to kill Nightmare but finding it incredibly hard to do so.

Ropes seemed to sling over Nightmare holding her down, she stared letting out high pitched shrills.

Killer was trying to get in the middle of it all, trying to get the guards to stop, they were hurting Nightmare.

Cross didn't know what to do.

While Killer tried to stop the guards, only when one of the men slashed out a Killer, Cross could only thank the gods that Killer somehow didn't get hit with the sword.

Cross then wrapped his arms around Killer stopping his from trying to kill any guards.

Killer begged and pleaded Cross to let him go, but Cross refused.

Before Nightmare was knocked out completely, Cross and Nightmare made eye contact.

Cross felt like his heart dropped to his stomach as he watched Nightmare's cold teal eye closed slowly.

The guards pulled up an old wagon and hailed Nightmare into it.

Cross froze, momentarily forgetting about Killer.

Killer broke free from Cross's hold drawling his knife and trying to attack a guard.

Cross seemed to come back to life and grabbed Killer's arm pulling him away from the guards and wagon, all the way to the small alleyway between to shops.

Cross put his hand over Killer's mouth as he watched the guards leave with Nightmare.

After the guards were fully out of sight was when Cross let Killer go.

Killer sprung from Cross's grip turning around to slap him.

Cross held his face as Killer flipped out.

"Why didn't you let me stop them?!"
Killer hissed as he stared at Cross.

"..I.. I thought we'd have more time.."
Cross muttered quietly.

Killer looked at him, even if Cross wasn't able to see Killer's eyes, he betted they had betrayal written all over them.

"More time! More time!?" Killer let out a laugh before finishing his question.

"More time for what, Cross!? For what!? What could you ever mean!?"

Cross flinched at the tone before looking down at the ground.

"..The poster, they were all over, I thought we'd have more time before anyone recognized Nightmare.. So I could warn you.."

Both Cross and Killer silenced.

Killer was about to say something but stopped himself wanted Cross to say something else.

Something to reassure Killer everything would be okay.

Cross pulled Killer into a hug before speaking again.

"The reward wasn't even that much, I-"

Killer cut him off.

"You know it wasn't about the reward money! We both grew fond of her! Admit it you stupid coward!"

Cross was silent.

"Can..can't we get her back?"
Killer asked as he lifted his head to look at Cross.

Cross looked back at Killer before giving him a kiss and nodding his head.

"Mhm.."

In reality, Cross was all onboard with this idea, he wanted to have Nightmare back as much as Killer did.

Even if the two had each other, it still seemed lonely without the girl.

Nightmare spiced everything up a bit.

1093 words