Chapter Three

"King Bates?! But he's like forty five years old! Plus doesn't he have like six wives already!"  Nightmare protested in a hushed voice as they wondered the large hallways.

Dream didn't respond as they made their way in front of the door to the garden.

Dream nodded to the guards on both sides of the door as they opened the door for the two young royals.

After seeing the guards, Nightmare grew silent dragging her feet as her brother led the way to a quiet area away from the guards.

Whenever Nightmare usually came into the garden she would admire the beauty of the flowers and vines.

Not today, she had something much bigger on her plate.

Nightmare quickened her pace to match Dream's as they rushed to their favorite bench in the corner.

Dream sat down on the bench keeping his head down keeping from Nightmare's gaze.

Nightmare stared at him with tears welling in her eyes. That was a rare thing for Nightmare to do. Nightmare never cries.

Nightmare didn't sit down with Dream like she does every night, instead she stared at him.

Dream tossed the his baguette from one hand to another breaking it in half moments later.

He didn't dare try and eat it though.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Nightmare questioned lowering her voice, letting it quiver to her emotions.

"..I was just told before you arrived in the dining room.. I thought you'd want to hear it from me than from mother and father.." Dream says shifting his weight to the other side of the bench.

Nightmare nodding understanding completely. Their parents would have overwhelmed Nightmare.

But Nightmare still wasn't happy about any of this.

"..he's not that bad.. I've met him before! He's just a bit.. too much.."
Dream said quieting at the end of his statement.

Nightmare let out a sigh and went to sit next to Dream on the cement bench.

Dream panicked already knowing what Nightmare planned on doing.

Turning to his sister, Dream put a hand on Nightmare's shoulder.

"Nightmare, just meet him, please.
Maybe you can work something out.
If lucks on our side, you may like him."
Dream says lifting one of the baguette pieces from his lap handing it to Nightmare.

Nightmare let out a sigh as she ran her fingers over the moss on the bench knowing Dream was right.

"I try.. but no promises!.."

Nightmare said now starting to feel anxious and she pushed a small stone around in the dirt with her foot.

Dream smiled at her as he took a bite out of his share of bread.

Dream nodded to the silence and looking outwards past the roses and sunflowers.

Nightmare then took the face of evil as she leans down and snags a bite of Dream's baguette.

"Hey! Not fair! Nightmare!" Dream cried out laughing lightly.

Nightmare sprung up and made a dash for the door back to the inside giggling.

Dream just watched her run smiling sadly. For he knew Nightmare would hate Bates.

He'd loose her for sure.

Dream stood up looking down at the ground that had been disrupted by the twins.

Dream would have to check on her after Nightmare has met Bates.

Dream was hoping Nightmare would agree to leave right after the twos eighteen birthday, at least attending the party.

Tears gathered at the sides of Dream's eyes. He quickly shook his head making his way past the beautiful flowers.

He would be king soon, kings don't cry.

"..."

Nightmare was frowning as she slowed down parading the halls.

Only slowing to a complete stop when she was finally in front of the throne room where her father supposedly waiting the "Bates."

Frowning, she placed her hand on the beautiful golden doorknob.

It was so fancy for something so little.

Something that was so useless.

Nightmare rubbed her thumb over the golden indents of the doorknob before going still.

Lifting her head gently, Nightmare looked behind her at the hallway.

Letting her eyes trail up and down the hallway she finally turned back and slid the doorknob down and pushed the door open.

Stepping into the large room Nightmare spotted her father easily.

The large king was standing next to a old looking man.

Must be Bates..

Nightmare thought to herself as she looked down at where her bare feet would be if they weren't hidden behind the cloth of her dress.

Nightmare really didn't want to be there but wasn't like she had much choice.

Letting out a sigh she stepped forwards letting her presence be known to both men.

Both Kings turned to her. Nightmare's father look delighted as Bates eyes wandered up and down Nightmare's body.

Nightmare didn't make eye contact with Bates as she turned to her father greeting him with a small wave.

"Ah, a shy one ain't she?" Bates remarked as he laced his tone with a perverted tone.

"Love to have babies with that!" Bates continued pointing at Nightmare.

Nightmare made a face of disgust but kept her head down.

The only positive thing about him was that he was very blunt...

Bates eyes wandered to Nightmare's chest. "Ooo~" Bates cooed.

Bates must think he's so funny, especially since Nightmare's father was laughing with him.

The feeling of betrayal filled within her emotions as she focused on her breathing.

Had to control the anger, to much and corruption would cover her body.

"Nightmare! Look at him when he's speaking to you! Your so lucky to have found a man who will marry you even with you "corruption!" Nightmare's father stated angry with Nightmare's behavior.

Nightmare couldn't take it, so she left.

To her bedroom, the safest place in the palace for her.