Chapter 28 - Birthday Surprise

Chapter 28 – Birthday Surprise

“Happy birthday baby,” Liam whispers, leaning into kiss me gently.

I waste no time before kissing him back. Our lips move in sync, and they tingle as Liam trails kisses down my neck and back up to my mouth. We kiss for a while before I part from him to pull my top over my head, leaving me in my small sleeping shorts and my chest completely bare. Liam’s shocked by this for a minute, but before I know it his hands a roaming my body and his teeth are nibbling at my ear. I pull his top off and –

My head shoots up and I awake, sweating and panting. My heart is beating at a fast pace, and I drag my hand across my forehead, which is sticky. I let out a long breath, and a few tears trickle down my cheeks. Liam sits up, hearing that I’m awake.

“Lexi what’s wrong? Why are you crying? Baby look at me!” Liam asks, grabbing my chin gently and pulling my face round to look at his. He sees the tears on my cheeks and wipes them away quickly with his fingers.

“Just…just a dream,” I pause. “I didn’t want it to end…but I woke up.”

Liam cocks his head to the side in confusion. “You’re crying because the dream was…good?”

I nod slightly and Liam chuckles. He hugs me close to his chest and sings in my ear. I’m almost asleep again when Liam wakes me up.

“What was the dream about?”

I think back to the dream and my heart beat quickens. I take a deep breath and look up at Liam. He’s looking down at me with a questioning look on his face. I lean in and kiss him gently. Then, I show him just what the dream was about without hesitation.

***

I wake up with mine and Liam’s legs tangled together and his hand at the bottom of my back. I’m so comfortable that I try and ignore my bladder calling for me to go to the toilet, but it’s hard. I look up at Liam slightly, attempting not to make too much noise, to see that he’s already awake. He’s staring across the room, daydreaming I presume. After noticing I’m awake, he looks down at me then turns away to stare at the door.

“You should go shower,” Liam says quickly, without giving me another glance.

My heart thumps to the ground, realising he’s forgotten completely about what day it is. I obey him, without replying or even looking at him. I just step into the shower and wash away the tears that are threatening to fall down my red cheeks. I wash my hair thoroughly and then switch the shower off, wrapping a towel around myself. I drain the water from my hair and begin to blow dry it till it’s at least just a bit damp. Liam is no longer in the bedroom when I enter, so I change into my sweatpants and a cropped t-shirt. I throw the dirty sheets into the wash basket and head downstairs.

“Liam?” I shout, not hearing any movement from the kitchen or lounge. I try the kitchen first, to find it’s empty. Then I try the lounge. I walk in, and suddenly Liam, Niall, Louis, Zayn, Harry, Jen, Eleanor, Elise and Cat all jump up from behind the sofa and TV shouting, “SURPRISE!”

In Liam’s hands is a cake with eighteen candles, and the rest all open the party poppers and next thing there are streamers flying in my face. I laugh and I can feel my cheeks steaming up from the attention. I’ve never, ever had this much attention on my birthday before, seriously.

“Thanks guys this–” I begin but I’m interrupted by them all starting to sing ‘Happy Birthday To You.’ I feel like my cheeks are on fire by this point. After the song, they all engulf me in a massive bear hug, in which Liam is the first to separate with an awkward look. I frown, but don’t say anything. Liam takes the cake into the kitchen, while Elise and Jen make me sit down. I sit down in between Niall and Zayn. Niall gives me the present him and Elise chose first.