45 | The Turning Point

A reunite with Mujika and Sonju at first sounds splendid enough for both Don and Gilda. Even if they have to go through the wild demon's jungle, through heat and exhaustion, a reunite with their savior as well as their best friend is supposed to be worthwhile.

That will be the case, if they aren't searching for those two kind demons under Norman's suspicious order.

With how Ayshe—Norman's subordinate who is really skilled at tracking—turns out to be kind of at their side, it's both a huge relief and another headache to figure out what the hidden meaning behind this 'search and rescue' mission.

Woof/!

On the other side, this journey is far more easier with the help from Ayshe's intelligent dogs. They are exceptionally skilled at finding the scents of Mujika and Sonju.

"If it's going this smooth, then we will be able to fine them in no time," said Don, noting at how much the track those dogs just found, again.

"Yeah ... I hope we will find them soon," said the girl with glasses, somehow unsure and hoping there won't be any problem until they reach their goal.

While her friends are walking ahead of her, Gilda turns her head to her back when she suddenly has an alerted feeling that someone is creeping behind her. She stare at the trees, the root that are half entangling on the ground's surface and also the large trunks over her head.

As it turns out, even when she found nothing suspicious, she is still at a massive uneasiness.

〰️

Unlike the usual days in the shelter, when usually there are many lively children laughs and the steps of some children running, the shelter is oddly silent—almost too calm.

The fountain's water is turned off, buildings are empty, doors are abandonedly open, and all lights have been turned off aside from the some along the street. There are no sounds, no steps, no sight of any children, not a sign of living at all.

That's why, when the front entrance door is being pushed from outside, the sound is tremendously loud and soon a surprising echo is following after the door is collapsed. Hundreds of soldiers are starting to rummage into the shelter, spreading to their own directions without anyone to bestow the order. Loud stomps and low growls are filling the room as the exchange for the prior silence. There is also some of them enter while riding an animal similar to a large horse.

Swords and spears are already at their hands, ready to attack and destroy anything if needed. The lack of light certainly not a big obstacle for them as they're walking without any trouble through the streets and the forest around the shelter. It doesn't seem to bother them that they are walking at the ancient buildings from their kind of the previous generation and keep on moving to find their target.

"Do you hear that?"

While all they can hear are either their own or their teammates' footstep, suddenly they hear a rushing small steps like running which clearly aren't from a demon. Then there are sounds of something falling beside the buildings and those sounds are suddenly being heard all at once at many different spots in the shelter. The researchers at the north hear it, as well as those in the south, east, and west of the shelter.

"There!" Points one of the demon, and they begin to follow those tiny clues under their nose.

Before they can find those children who were running near them, all those left light on the streets are all turned off. The darkness engulf them and make them totally lost their track of surrounding. To add more for their irritation, soon there's a disturbing sound of bamboo clicking without stop. With how they can't see their surroundings, those sounds are seemingly coming from everywhere which make them can't focus to find their way.