22 | The Criminal

25 October 2047 - 1 year after Lambda escape

Demon society is actually not that contrast comparing to how a normal human society would be. They will start Monday morning with a groan and too much pull to stay still in their bed, too little spirit to start their day, and complain why a weekend is shorter than a work days. Farmer will feed their chickens and cows, a mother will cook for her family, a worker in capital will goes to his office and get another yell from his supervisor for not so obvious reasons. Sellers at market will put their goods in the stands and greet for their customers. Cut of human flesh is always displayed at the front line.

However, an old demon who walks with a wooden cane didn't buy any of his kind's favorite. A basket attached to his back is filled with fruits and fresh vegetables, mostly apples. He has got everything he needed and on his way back home outside the village. It's a little shack near an old, out of use temple. Nobody ever comes to this area and everyone can bet his life is supposed to be lonely.

It would be if not because of his granddaughter.

A little demon girl with purple hair waits at the door. Her hand is swaying high in the air to greets him, "Grandpa!!!"

She runs to him. "Grandpa, can I play with Vicky to the forest? Not for too long, I promise!"

"Sure. But Emma." He warns her granddaughter. "Don't go too far and stray from the path. The bandits are extremely active these days. Another raid was occurred this week, everyone talks about it at the market."

"Another raid? How many it has been?"

"I'm afraid I'm too old to properly count it, dear. In spite of that I realize that the farm raids have been increasing for the last year."

Emma, the little demon girl said, "I won't wander too far and I'll be extra careful. See you later grandpa!"

The little girl then runs to her friend who is already waiting for her at the end of the road. The old demon can hear in a faint voice that his granddaughter was telling her friend to be careful of some uninvited bad-guys who probably are waiting for them in the woods.

〰️

Working at a mass production farm is practically simple, even more if the spoken demon is tasked in monitoring cameras all day and night. There's not much to do except looking at squares that never provide them enough entertainment nor amazing scenery rather than shitty work sanitary. The demons never care tough.

"Hey, want to grab some drink after work? An ex-colleague showed this place before, and the food is..." His coworker indicates his talk with a chef's kiss. "Perfect."

He shrugs. "Doesn't sound so bad."

He wakes up from his chair and does a little stretch. When he leaves his seat and walks over the door, his coworker asked, "Where are you going?"

"Getting some air. Fill in my place for a bit, would you? There's nothing much to see anyway."

As the door closed automatically behind him, the demon starts walking aimlessly and let his feet take the lead, he ends up he only goes as far as to the restroom. The bored demon takes his time to picks a drink from the cupboard and see the yard from an opened window.

This day is so quite. There's no wandering guards below like usual too, maybe they are changing their shift now. This place is boring, the work is boring, his coworker is a drunkard and his employer is just an old fart demon who specialize in nagging and throwing tantrum. What a boring life he has.

He whispered, "I wish something happened."

And as if he has spoken the magic words, his life is being thrown upside-down just like what he wish for.