Chapter 27

Lloyd paced the floor in front of a door inside the doctor's office anxiously. On the way back to Baddie Bend, Ariana had practically collapsed to the ground unconscious. Not knowing what else to do, Lloyd had carried her in his arms the rest of the way, knowing that if she had been awake, she would've slapped him for trying something like that. His face had felt hot the entire time, but at the same time, it had felt... somewhat right.

Only then had he realized she had a deep gash in her stomach, where Garmadon had stabbed her.

Lloyd had never felt so overwhelmed. He didn't know what had happened in the monastery with his father, how he had come so close to killing Garmadon for the second time. He had just gotten so angry and frustrated, but he felt better now that he got everything off his chest.

If the ninja don't realize how much they hurt me now, they never will, he thought. He ran his fingers through his hair, stressed and frustrated. When he saw Ariana in the hands of her attacker, he was surprised to realize how much he cared for her. How much anger had driven him at the thought of losing her. Where did all this come from? he wondered to himself. I've never felt this way before.

Lloyd looked up as the door opened and Doc stepped out.

"How is she?" Lloyd asked.

Doc shrugged carelessly. "There's no doubt she's had a serious wound," he reported. "But fortunately not serious enough to take her life."

Lloyd stared at him. "So she's okay?"

"Only needs rest," Doc murmured.

Lloyd breathed a sigh of relief. He didn't want to think about the anger he would've felt if Ariana didn't survive. Nodding to him, Doc turned and headed down the hall.

"You're back, I see."

Lloyd turned at the sudden voice and found the Overlord behind him. "Yeah," he muttered. "Ariana's not doing too well, though."

The Overlord nodded distractedly. "But did you get them?"

Lloyd blinked. "Get what?"

"The elemental weapons, duh!" the Overlord hissed.

"Oh, yeah." Lloyd handed him the shurikens. "One of them."

The Overlord inspected the shurikens with a grin. "Then there's only one left!" he cackled. Then he gazed at Lloyd suspiciously when the green ninja didn't reply. "You don't sound too excited about it."

Lloyd broke from his thoughts and looked up at the Overlord. "N-no I am," he protested. "I just... forgot... that's all..."

The Overlord raised an eyebrow. "The elemental weapons are the whole point of this mission. How could you have just forgotten?"

Lloyd gave a hiss of frustration. "I have a lot on my mind, okay?" he snapped. Then he turned. "Just leave me alone."

The Overlord watched as the green ninja darted down the hall toward the streets. He gazed into the doctor's room, where Ariana was staying. Giving him second thoughts, Ariana? he asked silently. He rubbed his chin and spotted the girl through the window. If she's holding him back, then maybe it's time for her to go.

* * *

Wu watched as Pixal rushed around the room, treating everyone's wounds. Almost every bed in the hospital room was filled. A few of the ninja had drifted into unconsciousness after all the commotion had died down and the pain caught up to them.

Wu sighed and rubbed his head, deeply troubled. Troubled about his terribly wounded brother. Troubled about the words Lloyd had shouted. Troubled that the Overlord now had three elemental weapons.