Chapter 3

Wu turned from the window as he heard movement and saw Garmadon waking from his sleep. With a sigh of relief, Wu walked over to his brother.

Garmadon groaned and rubbed his head as he awakened.

"Brother, it is good to see you awake," Wu murmured.

Garmadon gazed around, furrowing his eyebrows. "I-I thought it was a dream," he breathed. He sat up, hissing in pain. "Where is my son?" he demanded.

Wu shifted his feet uneasily. "He's not here... at the moment," he stammered.

Eyes blazing, Garmadon clenched his fists and growled. "When I get my hands on him—" He was cut off by a groan and he rubbed his head.

Wu laid his hand on his brother's arm. "Save your anger for later," he told him. "You need to rest."

Garmadon panted and looked across the room, locking his gaze on Kai. He furrowed his eyebrows. "So help me, if Lloyd hurt Kai again...!"

Wu shook his head sadly. "There's no use in lying to you, brother," he sighed. "Lloyd ran off to Kai's bedroom after you went unconscious."

Garmadon closed his eyes, struggling to control his temper. He took a deep breath before opening his eyes again. "Bring him to me," he told Wu through gritted teeth. "I need to have a talk with my son."

Wu hesitated. "I can't really do that right now," he stammered.

"What do you mean?" Garmadon inquired, eyeing him suspiciously.

"Lloyd's run away," Wu sighed.

Garmadon's eyes widened. "He what?" he demanded.

Wu lowered his head. "He was gone before we could stop him," he explained. "He hasn't come back ever since."

Garmadon sighed disappointedly. "Where could he have run off to?" he wondered. "Do you think he's okay?"

"I'm sure he's fine," Wu murmured. "He's just... confused at the moment. After nearly killing you and Kai, he must've felt unsure of himself."

Garmadon looked at Kai. "Lloyd almost killed him?" he wondered, half to himself. He closed his eyes and lowered his head. "I feel so disappointed in him."

Wu glanced at his brother sympathetically. "We all do," he said. "I never thought it was in him."

Garmadon's head throbbed and his vision clouded. He felt shocked and betrayed. He never thought he'd see the day when his son turned against his family. "I-I don't understand," he choked out. "Where did my son go?"

Wu laid his hand on his brother's shoulder as he sank back into the covers. "Don't worry, Brother," he soothed. "Lloyd will come around."

He watched as Garmadon groaned with pain before sinking back into an uneasy sleep. Wu closed his eyes, deeply disturbed. "I hope," he whispered.

* * *

Lloyd raced through the forest the opposite way he came. He was heading back to the monastery. Truth was, he didn't want to live alone in deep regret, but he also didn't want to go back to his home. Anxiety swarmed inside of him with every step he took. What will happen when I get there? he thought. How will I be welcomed? What will my father think? He winced. If he's even still alive!

Lloyd slowed his pace as he came closer to the monastery, beginning to have second thoughts. What am I thinking? I can't go back now! Not after what I've done! He began to sweat. And what if I get frustrated again and mess everything up? I have to think of something.

He halted as he reached the outer yard of the monastery. He bit his lip as he thought of what to do. What happened before I went insane? He scratched his head. I was talking to Sensei and Dad about the Trance.

The Trance! Lloyd thought bitterly. Anger formed inside of him as he remembered how Wu and Garmadon had yelled at him after Kai went into shock. Lloyd couldn't help but feel they were being unfair to him. I didn't know, he thought. Because they didn't tell me.

A spark of disbelief shot through him. How do I know this so-called "Trance" even happened? he wondered. What if they're just making all this up because... because... He drew in a shaky breath. Because they don't want me.

No, that's not true, Lloyd argued with himself, although the doubt wouldn't leave him. Shaking his head, he halted as he came to the monastery walls. With a grunt, he hopped onto the roof of the walls and gazed at the building. His eyes drifted over the front door, and immediately dread rushed through him at the thought of facing his family. I can't do this, he thought.

Then he looked up and rested his gaze on his bedroom window, which was wide open. Maybe if I just sneak in, I can take a glance around and see if they really do want me back.

Making up his mind, he hopped into the courtyard and darted forward until he reached the shadows of the monastery. Bunching his muscles, he leaped onto a ledge in the wall and backed up against the solid stone, looking up to see a window not far. He leaped again, landing nimbly on the windowsill. Inching forward, he gazed into the window and found it was the one leading into the hospital room. Scanning the area, he found with a sigh of relief that no one had spotted him.

Movement flashed in the corner of his eye.

Lloyd's gaze snapped to the edge of the room where he found Garmadon lying on a bed. His back was faced toward him, so he didn't see the green ninja. Lloyd's eyes rounded and his heart dropped to see his father half-conscious in the hospital room. I did that to him, he thought with a rush of dread. I did that to him.

Just when he thought he couldn't bear the scene any longer, his gaze flicked to the other side of the room until it rested on Kai. The red ninja shifted, then turned toward the window. Lloyd felt a jolt of alarm as he realized Kai was fully awake and, as quickly as he could, he jumped onto a ledge just above the hospital window. He held his breath as he stood frozen still, but no one called out to him.

He let out a sigh of relief before spotting his bedroom window. Bunching his muscles again, he leaped toward the sill and landed at the very edge. He gasped as his feet slipped and quickly grabbed the ledge until he was left hanging. Panting to catch his breath, he looked down and realized how high he was. I can't fall now!

Summoning all his strength, Lloyd heaved himself upward and stumbled into the open window. Shaking his head, he rose to his feet and looked around. Everything seemed normal except for the leftover shatters of furniture he had broken a few days ago. He was relieved to see that his door was closed.

Lloyd bit his lip. Well, here goes nothing.

Just as he was about to head for his door, footsteps suddenly sounded from behind him. He froze, not daring to turn around. Someone must've been in my room, waiting for me!

His breath caught in his throat as a smooth voice spoke out—a voice he never thought he'd hear again.

"Hello, green ninja. We meet again."