CH. 4 WAITING FOR TIME

Time was still against me

Time was still against me.  It moved like a bullet then slowed to a snail's pace.  I was wanting the bullet right now.  I'm now seventeen and my eighteenth birthday was just 48 hours way exactly.  I lay on my mattress with no covers.  It was so hot that it was suffocating.  For midnight, the weather was remaining humid, hot and sticky.

When breakfast prep came around, I rolled to my feet, favoring my left hip.  Luna Bridget had been upset that I hadn't made enough caramel cakes for the dinner the night before.  I'd made her requested six cakes and eight dozen peanut butter cookies.  Alpha had been kind allowing me a choice of my food for the day.  I chose one of the remaining corn on the cob instead of the last cookie.

Alpha seemed to look at me longer as time passed and I did not find his new perusal comforting.  That was likely the real reason behind the attack.  This morning she had more venom in her eyes when looking at me and I avoided her gaze.  Sebastian, too, had been looking at me a lot and sniffing me which was just creepy.  He would come to my room every night in wolf form and just lay at my door.  I barely slept waiting for him to do more than just stay outside my door.  I feared using another spell on him because now his wolf instincts were kicking in and I couldn't just erase his memories without him becoming suspicious.

I had to play it cool even when Mae came around looking at my hair and body for signs of magic.  Everyday, she would witness my abuse and the several weeks it would take me to heal and it angered her.  I was smiling on the inside.  My plan for escape was just days away.  I had everything I would need stored in a place no one could reach.  I'd learned a new ability with my magic where I could store my things in a place outside of time.

I had two bachelor degrees now, one in Literature and one in Computer Programming.  I also had an associates in Creative Writing and had two books written that I'd published and received weekly royalties from.  Of course I wrote under a pen name and with my games, education programs and now my books, I was able to make more than enough money to live on my own and keep far away from this pack. 

My plan would work and allow me stay one step ahead and never feel trapped again.  I was excited and having to hold it in.  At night, I would dream, well fantasize since I would be awake.  I think of my new home and the work I was prepared to put in.  I thought about my first trip to a fast food place for a real meal.  Would I even be able to eat a regular portion meal?  I desired to find out.  But time was being cruel, moving so slowly.

The next morning, 25 hours until the big moment.  I prepared breakfast which was especially difficult this morning as Luna Bridget had requested breakfast quesadillas and several women wanted me to make them special smoothies.  I had to struggle to make more than sixty quesadillas and twelve smoothies on time.

I'd barely finished the last smoothie when people walked in and were sitting at the table.  I placed the last smoothie and got a glare from the one who'd ordered it.