Alex Bishop and The Elusive Dorian Brown

Chapter 22

                                                                          No secrets among Friends                                                                                    

     "Christian told Alex that nobody could know about the secret," Johnathon whispered, so the other couple in the room wouldn't hear him.  "So this has to do with Christian and Alex?"  Amanda asked.  John turned toward her on the sofa and leaned in, "Yes," he said.  Amanda's eyes widened.  "What is it?" she asked again.

     "Okay, here it is," John said, "But I'm warning you, this is going to put you in an awkward position with Annie." (John was hoping that by saying this, Amanda would say she didn't want to know.)  But she looked him straight in the eyes and said, "I'll handle it.  Just tell me."  "Okay, you asked for it." John told her.

     "I overheard Alex and Christian talking one day.  Christian was talking about a trip they were taking after graduation."  John was then quiet because the couple was passing behind the sofa.  He and Amanda watched as the couple walked out of the common room.  Johnathon first took a deep breath and then went on.

      "The both of them are going on an archaeological dig in Europe."  Amanda's eyes were wide   "Wow!  Well, I don't see the prob...."  "I'm not done yet," John said.  "Christian is afraid to tell his parents or Annie."  "Why?"  Amanda asked.  Christian said his parents worked so hard so he could have a good education.  He's afraid they won't consider two years of college long enough to get that "Good Education."

     "Not to mention he will be in Europe....with Alex.  You know how adventuresome they both are.  He said his mother would drive him nuts with phone calls, texts, etc. etc. until he and Alex left.  In other words they would drive him crazy."  "What's his problem with telling Annie?" Amanda asked.  "He didn't really talk about her during that conversation, except to say, she would tell their parents if she knew.  Which I guess is enough of a problem."

     Amanda frowned at him and then said with narrowed eyes, "Okay.  I feel sorry for Christian that he's in this position, but what does this have to do with "Us?"  John gave her a sheepish look, which she instantly knew the meaning of.  She opened her eyes wide and said, "You want to go with them don't you?"  "Well....yeah." John confessed.

     Amanda was quiet for a moment, then said, "What kind of girlfriend would I be if I cried and through a fit and told you not to go?"  John sighed and said, "I really don't deserve you, you know."  Amanda laughed, looked around to make sure they were alone and then kissed him.  "It's just a relief to know that you didn't want to break up," Amanda told him.

     John laughed and said, "First of all I have no intention of doing that, and second of all, Annie wouldn't let me."  Both of them laughed heartily at that.  Amanda suddenly had put on her thinking face again.  "I gotta say, I'm surprised that Alex could stay away from Haley that long,"   "He went nearly nuts last year when she left for Australia and he had to wait until Christmas to see her."

     "I'm really surprised Alex hasn't asked her to go with he and Christian," Amanda told John.  "I'm kinda amazed about that too," John said.  "But when I overheard Alex and Christian's conversation, Alex hadn't met Haley yet."  "But she's his girlfriend now," Amanda retorted.  "True," John agreed.

     Amanda scooted closer to him and said in a coaxing voice, "John, wouldn't it be great if we both could go on the trip with Alex and Christian?"  John was stunned and temporarily speechless.  When he found his voice he said, "Are you crazy?  I don't know that they are going to let me go along."