Alex Bishop and The Elusive Dorian Brown

Chapter 17

                                                                         The Rescue of Mr. Kincaid

     It took Josh about forty five minutes to drive to Knotting Road.  The last of the setting sun had just fallen behind the horizon leaving the sky a blue gray color.  Josh pulled in behind the tall Eucalyptus trees he and his friends had seen on the map and shut off the motor.   There was a large shed setting in front of the trees so the limo couldn't be seen by the two men in the parking lot.

     The group just sat there for a few minutes giving each other apprehensive looks. The bad guys had exchanged their limos for three dark colored jeeps.  Two men were standing next to one of them smoking cigarettes in between talking and laughing.  Alex took a few seconds to glare in their direction even though they couldn't see him.

     while the group sat there, the sky turned darker still until Anthony said, "I think it's plenty dark now Justin, you and I should get going."  Justin nodded and then the two boys grabbed the  large bags of  noisemakers and fireworks and slunk out of the limo.  "Wait for us, guys," Alex hissed.  Then he kissed Haley who said, "Please be careful."  "You too he breathed.  And then He, Mr. Wells and Christian climbed out of the vehicle. 

      Be careful," Annie told them, echoing what Haley had said.  "We will," Christian answered this time.  "When I wave my Pen Light Josh, you start driving slowly into the parking lot in front of the warehouse.  Don't get too close to the two guards, just a few feet in," Alex ended. "Got it," Josh told him.  Miss Tibbs, suddenly said in a frantic voice, "I just tried to call the local police to let them know what was going on and a recording said the lines were down and to try later."

     Mr. Wells ducked his head back in, "Emily.  It's going to be okay," he said in his soothing deep voice.  "Just keep trying every ten minutes or so.  I promise I'll keep these boys safe."  Emily nodded at him with a small smile on her pretty face.  Mr. Wells kissed her hand and rejoined Alex and Christian.  Justin looked back and gave his friends a nod then he and Anthony took off following the trees lining the parking lot.

     Alex waited until he saw Justin and Anthony's Pen Light waving, letting him know they were in place and then he, Mr. Wells and Christian followed the same route the two boys had taken.  So  now, all five friends were standing at the side of the warehouse where Mr. Kincaid was being held captive.  While Anthony and Justin were getting ready to launch their diversion, Alex looked in the nearest back window of the warehouse.

     The kidnappers obviously weren't worried about anyone attempting to rescue their prisoner because there was only one man inside.  He was sitting at a table throwing dice.  He had a pad next to him and every time he threw the six dice, he would write something on the pad.  Mr. Kincaid was sitting on a chair, his hands and feet tied.

     "Can you see him?"  Christian asked anxiously.  "Yes," Alex whispered.  "He looks okay.  Maybe a little tired.  But who could blame him right?"  Christian and Mr. Wells, who was standing next to Alex  just nodded.  "We're ready,"  Anthony and Justin said in unison.  "I'll flash the light for Josh to begin to move forward," Christian said, a bit nervously.

     "Okay," Alex answered, "Stay there and flash your light at us when Josh stops the limo in the parking lot, Okay?"  "You got it,"  Christian said, taking off following the line of  trees again.  Alex turned to Justin and Anthony and said,  "We'll wait a few minutes after Christian lets us know that Josh has stopped the limo.  That will give Josh enough time to ask his phony directions.  Then you two go to the other end of the warehouse and set off the fireworks," Alex finished.