Alex Bishop and The Elusive Dorian Brown

A Hiding Place

                                                                                       Chapter 20

     Miss Emily Tibbs arrived at Two Forty Five in the afternoon on the arm of her F.B.I. Agent and friend.   He was in his late thirties, was around six foot tall, slim in build with dark hair and brown eyes.  He had pleasant features and a wide smile.  Alex's dad Max answered the door.  "Come on in," he invited the visitors.  "Thank you," the agent said.  Mr. Wells was standing just inside the door, and Emily hurried to hug him.  He held her in an embrace for a moment, while the girls beamed at the two of them and Fletch and Lee turned their heads in embarrassment.

     "Come and sit down," Janeen invited the agent and Miss Tibbs.  Emily sat down on one of the sofas next to Mr. Wells.  The agent preferred to stand, and said,  My name is Tom Brady and I thank you all for your hospitality, but I can't stay.  I have to report in to my superiors.  A couple of things before I leave you.  I would advise that no one in this room tell anyone that Emily is staying here.  We, the F.B.I. don't expect any trouble."

     "But it would be fool hardy to risk Emily's safety."  Several in the group nodded in agreement.  "We have alerted one of the local detectives, a Detective Ben Morrison to your situation,  and Emily, he is going to patrol the neighborhood in the mornings and evenings just to make sure of your safety."

     The agent then reached in his coat pocket and pulled out a few business cards.  "This is Detective Morrison's card.  It has his cell number listed and also his extension number at the station, in case you would need it." He gave one to Miss Tibbs, one to Max, Mr. Wells and one to Alex.  He also gave the four of them his business card also.  Alex gave the agent a questioning look when he handed him the business cards.

     The agent laughed at the Expression on his face and said, "I ran into a Detective Burns down at the police station, and to make a long story short, he told me of you and your friends help on some of his cases."  Now Alex laughed.  "Detective Burns is the senior partner in the duo of Burns and Morrison.  So he was informed of your case Emily."

     "The case was given to Detective Morrison because Detective Burns has too many cases right now, to add another one."  The agent then looked at Dawn, Lee, Fletch and Glenna, saying, "You must be the other North Side Detectives, who are so famous in these parts."  They all laughed as well. "Well, I believe that's all the info I have to give you," Mr. Brady said.

     "I suggest Emily, that you not venture out anywhere without someone with you, just to be on the safe side.  And always carry your cell phone with you and make sure your accompanying person has theirs with them also."  "I will obey all the rules  Tom," Emily told him, "You can be sure of that."

     "I was sure I could be," the agent said, grinning widely at her.  "So long for now," Agent Hardy told them, moving toward the door.  Emily got up and walked to the door to give her agent friend a hug, and Max opened the door for him. "Thanks for taking care of Miss Tibbs," Max told the agent.   Agent Brady looked over at Miss Tibbs and said, "It is always my pleasure to help Emily anyway I can."

     After Agent Tom Brady left, Dawn said, Professor Tibbs, I think Mr. Brady has a crush on you."  Professor Tibbs laughed as she sat down next to Mr. Wells again and said, "No.  We have known each other for years.  He's always been like my little brother."  Mr. Wells looked relieved and the others laughed.  Janeen changed the subject quickly to save Emily anymore embarrassment by saying, "We have your room all ready for you Emily."  

     Over the years Max and Janeen had had some remodeling done in their basement.  Two good sized bedrooms had been created, along with a large sitting room, complete with two comfortable beige sofas, a lamp stand on either end and a coffee table in between.  And a large screen T.V. mounted on the wall could be viewed no matter where one sat in the room.

     A full bathroom and a half bath had been added also.  Overall, it was a very pleasant place to be.  Janeen led Miss Tibbs and anyone else who wanted to see the new room, down a short set of carpeted steps.  "This is beautiful!" Emily exclaimed.  "Wow!" Fletch said, his big blue eyes larger than usual.  "No more sleeping in the den when we come visit," Lee said with a smirk.  Glenna punched his arm playfully.

     "This is Amazing!"  Dawn told Alex's parents.  "It turned out really well," Max agreed.  "You may pick either of the two rooms you'd like," Janeen told Miss Tibbs.  Both room doors were open and Emily walked over to the room that was painted a pastel yellow.  "I'll take this one, she said.  "I think I need more sunshine in my life.  Especially right now."

     The room boasted a queen size bed; the head and foot boards were of burnished Oak.  So were the stands setting on either side of it, each with a lamp setting upon it.  An Oak Armoire stood along the wall opposite the bed, and a flat screen TV was mounted on the wall several feet down from the armoire.

     The drapes hanging at the two windows in the room where an off white color, which matched perfectly with the bedspread which was covered with white, wee yellow flowers and pale green leaves throughout.  The carpet in the room was a light green, the same green seen in the bedspread. A few paintings depicting pictures of seascapes and Eighteenth Century towns, with happy people shopping and enjoying the seaside graced the walls of the room.

     Emily took a half hour or so to unpack and freshen up in one of the Pretty bathrooms.  Alex took the opportunity to put his things away in his room while Miss Tibbs was getting used to her new surroundings, with Mr. Wells talking to her as she did it.  Lyndell, Dawn and Glenna were helping Janeen decide what restaurant the group would be dinning at that night.  Because as Janeen said, she'd been too concerned about Emily's situation to plan a supper menu, let alone cook it.

     Max needed to get some things from the store that he had forgotten to buy when he'd went that morning; and Lee, Fletch and Chet went with him.  As Alex put his things away he thought about the trouble that Professor Tibbs was in.  And he had to admit to himself it was partly because of this need he had to get the bottom of a mystery.

     He became so angry at himself while thinking about it that he threw his socks in a drawer with such force that he missed the dresser entirely.  He then slumped upon his bed and put his head in his hands.  He thought if he had just left Dorian, Greg and Gina to the authorities, maybe Professor Tibbs wouldn't have had to be under protection by the F.B.I. or detectives right now.

     But then a thought occurred to him.  If he and his friends hadn't gotten involved several bad guys maybe wouldn't be in custody at the present time.  Sure it was awful that Dorian Brown had gotten away from the F.B.I. agents and he was now on the loose again, but he told himself he would just have to trust God and the agents to recapture him.

     "Lord," Alex begin to pray, "Please take care of Professor Tibbs.  Please don't let any harm come to her.  Or any of the people I love.  I will give you all the Praise for it." Alex promised, "In Jesus name Amen."  Alex ended as he heaved a big sigh.  Then he finished putting his clothes away.  As he was about to close the last drawer he saw a white folded paper sticking out from a pair of jeans.  He picked it up, unfolded it and a smile started to spread across his face.

     It was the letter that Mrs. Books had written him before she died.  He focused on one phrase:  "Don't ever lose that adventurous spirit Alex.  It's part of who you are."  A single tear ran down Alex's cheek as he whispered, "I won't Mrs. Books."  Suddenly he heard the front door slam and chuckling voices in the living room.  He quickly put the letter back into the drawer under the jeans that he hardly ever wore and went to join Lyndell and his friends.

                                                                                End of Chapter 20