Chapter 19.

FARIDA

A loud bang, followed by a break in. In front of me stood three armed men, cursing and shouting profanities. On reflex, I lie face flat, surrendering to them. I got a glimpse of the sharp cutlass that one of them held just before lying flat.

"Please, I don't have any money with me." I try to reason with them, while wondering how the hell they got into this hotel and why I am a target.

"Your card!" They say and I crawl on the floor to get a utility card I own. Hopefully, they won't know the difference. To my utmost surprise, they draw out a POS device.

"Madam." The moment I hear them call out, my heart misses a beat. They have finally figured it out.

"Ye....yesss." My voice comes out terrified.

"Put your password." I don't know when I sigh in relief, causing them to exchange looks amongst themselves before pointing the device in my face. They proceed to transfer all the money in there to their accounts, take my second phone and after several pleas, finally leave the room, leaving me frightened. A lot of coincidental stuff that happened were luckily in my favor; starting with how my bigger phone was switched off to how my main ATM card was in Lagos. I don't even want to imagine it being here. These people would have frustrated all my years of sweat and hard work by running me dry.

It's not like I can't defend myself in the face of danger but when there are guns and cutlass within close proximity, the best bet is to be smart and give in. Your life's worth is more important.

This Gombe is not for me. This hotel is supposed to be one of the best so how the hell were they able to break in? I decide not to dwell too much on that as sleep has left my eyes. The time states 4:52 am. I'll just stay awake till it is bright enough for me to leave.

The moment I touch down Lagos, a certain spirit of worry washes off my being. Finally away from that hell hole that I am never returning to, ever in my life. The bolt cab I had booked was already waiting for me. I catch up with him and we start the journey to Victoria Island, where I now reside with my friends. No matter how wealthy we individually now are, we still want to preserve our friendships. Only marriage could separate us. Speaking on that, Tamaras boyfriend, Jack, called me a few minutes ago. He said he wants to meet up when I am free. Why do I sense a proposal coming through very soon? It would be exciting.

The journey from the mainland to the Island finally comes to an end after plenty traffic. Today is Sunday, trust the people of Lagos to be all over the place.

"Welcome." Bukky touches my cheeks when she opens the door. I smile at her but she could see the sadness in their depths. All she does is a raise of eyebrows before she sighs, taking my bag off my hands.

"Tamara is in the bathroom, preparing for Jack's house." She states. Tomorrow is her trip and I'm sure she wants to spend quality time with him before leaving for her trip. Wahala for who no get boo. I am happy for her, though. He is an amazing person.

"Na wa oh!" Tamara sighs, clapping her hands in surprise. This is after I had narrated all that went down in Gombe.

"This one weak me." Bukky says.

"Wait, if you had not gone to Gombe, these people would have kept lying to you?" She adds.

"To be honest, I ask myself that question over and over again and the only conclusion I can come to is the fact that they still would have kept up the act if I hadn't shown up. They hate me like that." Those greedy people want to reap what they did not sow. The want to rip off of my hard work. It is why they are still miserable and have not risen above their poverty state.