Chapter 8.

FARIDA

I just finished having my bath when a knock sounds on the door. Confused, I hesitate before going to open the door.

"Hi. Good morning." Hands in his pocket, he's looking at the floor but when he lifts his head to look at me, his eyes widen.

"Good morning, Miss. Lawal."

"Please, come in." I follow behind him as he walks inside the room and finally sits on the chair, me sitting on the bed.

"So, what do I owe the pleasure of having you here?" The sarcasm again.

"I wanted to ask you a favor." Me? Interesting.

"Alright."

"Since you told me that you're from here, I was thinking that perhaps, you could show me around. You see, I have never been to the North before, asides Abuja."

"Oh, really?" This man thinks I look like tour guide, abi?

"Yeah." See his head like yeah.

"You could get a tour guide." I suggest.

"When you are here." Imagine this man sha.

"Tohh, I respectfully decline."

"I wasn't asking, it was an order as your boss."

"My job description does not include offering tour services to you." I point out, spotting a smirk on his lips.

"But you are to do as your boss wishes."

"Not in this circumstance. I want to sleep, please. See yourself out when you're ready to leave. I want to rest before the trip." Its not a lie, though.

"I'll be here waiting. My eyes widen at his statement. He really was not budging at all and that further annoyed me.

"Sir, that cannot happen. In fact, what was I saying? You may take your leave now." I speak, still refusing to cave in.

"I have tolerated your disrespect for quite some time now, Miss. Lawal." His countenance changes. Oh, this man wants to go through that route with me? Is it in my line of duty to take him on a tour round Gombe? Is he not also being disrespectful by asking that of me?

"I beg your pardon." I won't let him trample on me like that.

"Pardon me to say but what you're asking of me is completely absurd. First of all, I am not a tour guide. Secondly, you disrespected me. You just come in here and request a take you on a tour, just like that. You're not even asking but insisting, SIR. How much disrespectful could be?" I throw daggers his way. My voice is raised and it is only after I am done with my outburst that I realize the gravity of what I have done. See, I am not usually like this with my bosses but with Mr. Bankole, something inside me just ticks. He knows how to pull my buttons.

"Will you just shut up?" I guess I have finally reached the peak of his anger. From inception, this man has never liked me. It's not like I did anything to him. I really don't understand why he had to be the odd one of all my bosses.

"Excuse you?" No man has a right to tell me that, boss or not. The amount of disrespect that I have chopped in this man's hand sha.

"You have serious guts, Miss. Lawal. I cannot work with you." Me neither. There is the urge to voice out this thought but he is Madam's son before he speaks against her now. [AN: hohoho. If only Farida knows the trouble Tobi went through when he told her to not have dinner with them the other day.]

"Alright, Sir."

"And stop calling me by that title when you are being sarcastic." He says, frustratingly. The corner of my cheeks lifts up in a smirk. Thank God he knows. I let out a low chuckle but he catches it and his eyes zero on me. If he likes, he should continue speaking English, I am not taking him on any tour. How many places do I even know here? So, being from here now means I live or know places here? See me see trouble.