Chapter 6

FARIDA

On the Friday before the trip, I travelled to Abuja after work. I needed the break and the mind calming effect of. I needed a break from the stress accumulated from working in Lagos. The call from Tabitha and the mind-boggling realization that I have to travel to that state again.

Right now, I am at Jabi Lake mall, sitting across the water and admiring the view. There is not much to see here but there's one thing about the water and the calm that comes with it. So, I have been sitting here for hours, actually.

A lone tear slips from my eyes when I remember what my family did to me. The fact that my parents did not really care when it happened broke me. How do you do that to a child you call your own? And now, they want to see me. After four years. What right do they have? I was not the one who said not to ever show their face in my presence, they did. Sometimes I am thankful it happened. It availed me the chance to push, like really push and here I am, today, not just by my power or my might but God's blessings also. The God that I serve is sha a very good God because he lifted me above whatever madness was happening around me at that time.

Dealing with this stress is one thing on its own, dealing Tobi is another stress. Yeah, I'm allowed to call him by his first name in my head.

Today is my last day here and my flight to Lagos is by 4:30pm. I am going back to the Lagos wahala again. After enjoying the cool air, I head back to my hotel.

The way I am dreading this thought of going to Lagos ehn, one would think I am just going there for a visit. It seems like I will apply for all my accumulated leave over the past years.

TOBI

It was time for our trip and Miss. Lawal had not arrived. I wonder what is keeping her. When I called her number earlier, she did not pick and I initially thought it was because I was the person calling but when my mom called and she did not pick, I had a hunch that something must be wrong. She is never a minute late to anything.

"I'm sorry I am late, ma." It was not her usual vibrant voice that I heard. I did not want to belive it was her so I looked up, away from my phone to see that indeed, it was her speaking.

"Farida, what's wrong?" My mom asks. I could hear the worry in her voice.

"I am not feeling too fine." Farida answers in a meek voice.

"Sorry, dear." Mom says.

"Should we just leave you to rest?" She further asks her.

"No. I'll be fine, ma." She works too hard.

When her eyes meet mine, I notice that they were puffy. This is not the usual confident woman I know. There is no mistake. She definitely was crying. What could have gone wrong? Her hair is scattered, with the failed attempt she made at packing it in a ponytail.

"Good afternoon, Sir." When she spoke, there was no trace of sarcasm this time. This confirms my suspicion. Something is wrong with her but since she is not really a fan of me, I decide to keep my thoughts to myself. It's not like she'll let me in on whatever the problem is, anyway. We climb the airstair into the Private jet and are seated and belted. My phone beeps, signally a message.

Go and talk to her. I know something is troubling her. She is not sick.

-Sweetest mother.

I roll my eyes at my mom, ignoring her. At least, I'm not the only person that thinks that way.

Is it not you I am talking to?