Rescue //spot conlon

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, Spot'd never go for Flossy..." One of the grouchier boys, who'd disliked you ever since you'd beaten him in a swimming race, added. 

"He would too! Flossy's real pretty!" Poppy defended you fiercely. 

"An' Spot's real handsome, so they'd be a good couple." Another of the little girls giggled. 

"Flossy would never go for Spot, neither." Yet another said firmly. 

"Everybody wait," Clouds said, holding up a hand. She was the third oldest in the lodge, after you and Spot, and was the 'official' right hand man- even though anyone with eyes could see you were really so, if not to Spot, to Brooklyn. As such, her words were generally heeded. "You'se gotta do it." She said, looking between the two of you. 

"Nah, we can find another way-" Spot started, looking more uncomfortable than you quite liked at the prospect of pretending to be married to you. You may not have liked the boy, but you didn't think he was that bad. 

"No you can't, not in time at least. R'member? If nobody picks up the under 10s in a day, they get shipped off to a home." Clouds said, a sad light in her eyes. 

You sighed. "It's gonna have to do." 

Spot frowned. "Fine, Fine." He muttered. "Go put on somethin' nice." He instructed you, flopping into a chair. 

"Scuse me, prince charming?" You asked, raising a brow. 

"Come on, Flossy, I just wanna get Pretzel back, an' go to bed okay?" Spot asked, his eyes lighting on your newsie cap. "An' if this is gonna work ya can't be dressed like that." 

You snorted, leaving the room without admitting he was right. At your bunk, you hesitated, running your hands over the few clothes you owned and finally deciding to use the new dress you'd managed to save up for for the first time. It felt uncomfortably like you were getting ready for a date as you changed and rebraided your hair, leaving the cap on your bed. 

Reentering the common room gave you pause as Spot finished his speech; "you'se all gonna be in bed by the time we get back, sellin's tomorrow still. No girls in, no boys in, yadda yadda yadda, brush your teeth an' Clouds is in charge." 

With that he grabbed your elbow and escorted you quickly out the door, closing it behind him. 

"You sounded like a real dad, hun. I'm proud." You remarked with a smirk, skillfully avoiding the puddle. 

"Laugh it up, sugar,  nobody asked you." Spot scoffed. He still hadn't let go of your arm, but now he did, shoving his hands in his pockets surlyly. 

You paused in the street, turning to face him. "Alright sunshine, let's get some things straight. If we're gonna do this it's gotta work, ya hear? Cause I don't fancy gettin' locked up with you in a little cell all night and you know the Delancy's'll play that card if they sniff us out. This is the plan, and you gotta stick with it. I know you hate me for some reason, but I hate you too, so it's even." You hated the way your voice wavered on the 'I hate you too' part, it didn't sound nearly as convincing as it needed to. "It's only for a couple hours anyway..." 

"Betcha wish it wasn't, princess." Spot said, taking your entire rant in stride and focusing on the last part. He smirked sideways at you. 

You ignored him. "You probably don't know how to treat a girl right enough for them to marry you anyway." You sniffed. "Shoulda done this with Trotter." You muttered as you started off again, completely missing the way Spot's eyes narrowed. 

"A'right Y/N," He said, the use of your name causing you to stop again. "let's get some things straight. We're gettin' Pretzel out, we're doin' it as husband and wife, I'm gonna show you I do know how to treat a girl right, an' you ain't gonna mention any other guys while we're out, hear?"