Drowning ~ Minishaw

For haroldmntr.

-Anxiety, weak legs, drowning, self-harm (lip biting), smut.

Simon is having such a shit time, honestly.

Today is a Thursday; Simon never works Thursdays. Thursdays at the beach are bleak and dull.

But since Simon was the only lifeguard free at such short notice - curse his nonexistent social life outside of work - he had felt obliged to step in for JJ, the lifeguard who should have been on duty today.

Just another reason added to the list of why Simon disliked JJ.

~~~

Simon's eyebrows shot up as he spotted three people making their way onto the beach. It was nearing 1 o'clock in the afternoon and yet these are the first people Simon has seen all day.

Because today is a Thursday, a school day at that.

JJ so owes him.

~~~

Simon had to hold in a snort, watching the shitshow in front of him with chest-aching amusement. These three guys are actually idiots.

They're pretty young, that much Simon had noticed as he strided past them half an hour ago, under the pretense of checking the beach. (He wasn't, it was simply an excuse to walk the pins and needles out of his legs and get down from that stupid wooden deck.)

Currently, the three guys (supposedly ranging from 19 to 25) are situated halfway down the beach, heading towards the ocean, yet only one of them is stripped down to his swimming trunks.

He's stood between his two friends, trunks an embarrassingly bright shade of yellow that makes Simon want to curl in on himself, a shiver tickling down his spine. His friends are taller than him, about Simon's height or just shorter, and they flank him with both their arms on one of his each.

Even from where he's sat, a good dozen metres away from them, Simon can hear him screaming, can hear the loud shouts he makes as he kicks his legs. His struggling does nothing as his friends are bigger and probably stronger, pulling him down towards the water.

When they get there - finally - there is a brief pause in their movements as the middle one shrieks, awaiting the clear inevitable. A second later, his scream is cut short as he's thrown, head submerging in the water as he did.

The two had walked into the water up to their thighs before dropping him (abiding by the beach's guidelines, surprisingly) but now they've turned away and are pushing back through the water.

Now, Simon's eyebrows furrow and he jumps up from where he's sat. He foregoes taking the ladder from the deck to the sand, instead just dropping the five and a half foot drop from the wood to the ground.

Before his heels have even properly touched the sand, he takes off running. Simon may have found their actions funny mere minutes ago, but he takes his job seriously.

Since the man had landed in the water a good three to four feet from where his friends had stopped, just edging the line of too far, he was in the water well past their recommended guideline. And his head hadn't so much much as broke the surface of the water by a hair.

Before he knows it, Simon is in the water, swimming over to where he saw the man land, fumbling messily before ducking under water.

His head is turning hurriedly, side to side as he searches the water. He spots the boy hunched over at least a foot away from him, tugging at his lower left leg.