Chapter 25

"What's going on?! Who was that screaming?!" Gwen asks as I run back the way we came to the foyer.

"I'm not sure how to explain, but—" I notice a maid dashing down the stairs in a panic. "Excuse me! Where's Roman's room?!"

"I wouldn't advise—"

"Just tell me!"

She looks at me in shock before pointing up at the second floor. "Turn right at the landing of the second floor and make your way to the last door on the right."

"Thanks!" I pull Gwen up the staircase and down the hall towards his room.

"Can you please tell me what's going on?!" Gwen shouts as we dash down the hall.

"I can't exactly explain, but just give me a moment and you'll see!"

I notice a group of staff standing outside a set of open doors, a silver tray laying on the ground with food strewn about the floor. All of them have panicked expressions on their faces as one stammers. "We—we were just delivering your lunch, sir Ro—"

"GET AWAY!!! LEAVE ME ALONE!!!" the male voice screams through the open doors.

"What was that?!" Gwen asks.

"Someone we know very well!"

"What?!"

"I can't say anymore right now, but I'll explain in a moment!"

She hesitates before answering. "Alright!"

With her response, I pick up the pace and push through the crowd of staff. They all look at Gwen and me as we squeeze through, shocked as we step into the room and slam the doors shut. I twist the lock, blocking anyone from entering the room. The sounds of staff panicking out in the hall echo through the doors, and the doorknob jiggles as they shout. "Who's gone in there?!"

"I don't know!"

"Whoever's in there, come out! It's dangerous!"

"Someone, get the spare key to the room!"

Gwen stares at the door as I release her hand. "I think we've scared the staff of the manor."

"And part of it is that idiot's fault." I grumble as I scan the bedroom. Though I can't see anyone in the space, I know he's in here.

"That idiot's fault?" Gwen asks. "What are you talking about?"

"He's wreaking havoc here," I say as I slowly make my way across the floor, listening for sounds. My foot kicks something, and I glance down to see a shattered bowl at my feet. "God. Couldn't he have been just a little calmer for once? Was it really necessary?"

"Be calmer...?" Gwen pauses for a second before gasping. "No way...!"

And then I hear the sounds of someone sobbing. I follow the sobs until I find a young man collapsed against the bed frame. He has bronze skin and long bleach blonde hair like his father, but his aqua eyes are clearly from his mother.

"Roman," I say in a calm tone.

He looks up at me and glares. "My name isn't Roman!"

"I'm aware. You are someone I know very well."

He looks at me with a very confused expression before rising from the ground and towering over me. His eyes stare at me before they look towards Gwen. "Who are you people?!" His face shows how much he doesn't trust us.

"I can't believe it," I hear Gwen say from behind me.

"You should, since it also happened to us as well," I say.